Consumer Loyalty in the Swedish Pharmaceuticals Market
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to test if consumer loyalty is stronger toward brand name prharmaceutical products and branded generics as compared to "true" generics in the Swedish pharmaceutical market. The results show that consumers are equally loyal toward brand name pharmaceuticals and branded generics, while substantially less loyal toward generics. The results thus seem to give support to the idea that brand name recognition is important in creating consumer loyalty toward pharmaceutical products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HUI Research in its series HUI Working Papers with number 17.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 09 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Brand loyalty; Branded generics; Parallel import; Generic competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-06-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HEA-2008-06-21 (Health Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2008-06-21 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2004.
"Parallel imports and the pricing of pharmaceutical products: evidence from the European Union,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 1035-1057, September.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2004. "Parallel Import and the Pricing of Pharmaceutical Products: Evidence from the European Union," Working Paper Series 622, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Granlund, David, 2008. "Does Physicians' Compensation Affect the Probability of their Vetoing Generic Substitution?," HUI Working Papers 14, HUI Research.
- Granlund, David, 2008. "Does physicians' compensation affect the probability of their vetoing generic substitution?," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 729, Umeå University, Department of Economics, revised 26 Mar 2008.
- Coscelli, Andrea, 2000. "The Importance of Doctors' and Patients' Preferences in the Prescription Decision," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 349-69, September.
- Granlund, David & Rudholm, Niklas, 2007. "Consumer Information and Pharmaceutical Prices: Theory and Evidence," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 709, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Granlund, David & Rudholm, Niklas, 2007. "Consumer Information and Pharmaceutical Prices: Theory and Evidence," HUI Working Papers 8, HUI Research.
- John A. Rizzo & Richard Zeckhauser, 2005. "Generic Scrip Share and the Price of Brand-Name Drugs: The Role of the Consumer," NBER Working Papers 11431, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard, Oliver & Van Horn, Larry, 2004. "Persistence in prescriptions of branded drugs," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 523-540, April.
- Granlund, David & Köksal, Miyase Yesim, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform - A Kick or A Muff for Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals?," HUI Working Papers 49, HUI Research.
- Granlund, David, 2010. "Price and welfare effects of a pharmaceutical substitution reform," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 856-865, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.