Multinational Electricity Market Integration and Electricity Price Dynamics
AbstractThe paper empirically explores the electricity price dynamics in the Nordic electricity market, Nord Pool. In particular, the focus is on determining what effect the multinational market integration, during the years 1996-2006, has had on the conditional mean electricity price, its volatility, the price jump-intensity and the price jump size. Empirically the study reveals that the conditional mean electricity price increased when Finland joined the Nord Pool exchange, and the price remained at the higher level when Denmark also joined. Turning to the price volatility, this increased when Finland joined, mainly due to an increase in jump size, and decreased when Denmark also joined Nord Pool. However, the price jump-intensity decreased both when Finland and Denmark joined the market. This means that a large electricity market integration in Scandinavia seems to reduce the probability of sudden price jumps. That is, the multinational electricity market integration in Scandinavia seems to have created a market that handles external shocks to supply and demand better than the separate national electricity markets previous did.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HUI Research in its series HUI Working Papers with number 16.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 15 Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Lundgren, Jens, Jörgen Hellström and Niklas Rudholm, 'Multinational Electricity Market Integration and Electricity Price Dynamics' in Proceedings of the EEM 2008 - 5th International Conference on the European Electricity Market, 2008.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Electricity price; market integration; jump risk; EGARCH; Exponential Autoregressive conditional Jump Intensity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L69 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guthrie, Graeme & Videbeck, Steen, 2007. "Electricity spot price dynamics: Beyond financial models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5614-5621, November.
- Peter Fortune, 1999. "Are stock returns different over weekends? a jump diffusion analysis of the "weekend effect"," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 3-19.
- Philippe Jorion, 1988. "On Jump Processes in the Foreign Exchange and Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 427-445.
- Bekaert, Geert & Gray, Stephen F., 1998.
"Target zones and exchange rates:: An empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-35, June.
- Bekaert, G.R.J. & Gray, S.F., 1997. "Target zones and exchange rates: An empirical investigation," Discussion Paper 1997-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Geert Bekaert & Stephen F. Gray, 1999. "Target Zones and Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 5445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher J. Neely, 1998.
"Target zones and conditional volatility: the role of realignments,"
1994-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Neely, Christopher J., 1999. "Target zones and conditional volatility: The role of realignments," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 177-192, April.
- Mikael Bask & Jens Lundgren & Niklas Rudholm, 2009. "Market power in the expanding Nordic power market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(9), pages 1035-1043.
- Sanjiv R. Das, 1998. "Poisson-Guassian Processes and the Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 6631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huisman, Ronald & Mahieu, Ronald, 2003.
"Regime jumps in electricity prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 425-434, September.
- Huisman, R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2003. "Regime jumps in electricity prices," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3131736, Tilburg University.
- Huisman, R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2001. "Regime Jumps in Electricity Prices," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-48-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2006. "Why has the Nordic electricity market worked so well?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 148-157, September.
- Byström, Hans, 2001.
"Extreme Value Theory and Extremely Large Electricity Price Changes,"
2001:19, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans N. E., 2005. "Extreme value theory and extremely large electricity price changes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 41-55.
- Fred G M C Nieuwland & Willem F C Verschoor & Christian C P Wolff, 1990. "EMS Exchange Rates," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0002, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
- Girod, Jacques & Bourbonnais, Régis & Keppler, Jan Horst, 2007. "The Econometrics of Energy Systems," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/120, Paris Dauphine University.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars & Andersson, Bo, 1998. "Competition and Prices on the Emerging Nordic Electricity Market," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 217, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Chan, Wing H & Maheu, John M, 2002. "Conditional Jump Dynamics in Stock Market Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 377-89, July.
- Hjalmarsson, Erik, 2000. "Nord Pool: A Power Market Without Market Power," Working Papers in Economics 28, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Amundsen, E.S. & Bergman, L. & Andersson, B., 1998. "Competition and Prices on the Emerging Nordic Electricity Market," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 0298, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Bask, Mikael & Widerberg, Anna, 2008.
"Market Structure and the Stability and Volatility of Electricity Prices,"
Working Papers in Economics
327, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Bask, Mikael & Widerberg, Anna, 2009. "Market structure and the stability and volatility of electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 278-288, March.
- Creti, Anna & Fumagalli, Eileen & Fumagalli, Elena, 2010. "Integration of electricity markets in Europe: Relevant issues for Italy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6966-6976, November.
- Hellström, Jörgen & Lundgren, Jens & Yu, Haishan, 2012. "Why do electricity prices jump? Empirical evidence from the Nordic electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1774-1781.
- Ochoa, Camila & Dyner, Isaac & Franco, Carlos J., 2013. "Simulating power integration in Latin America to assess challenges, opportunities, and threats," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 267-273.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.