On Finite Dimensional Realizations of Forward Price Term Structure Models
AbstractIn this paper we study a fairly general Wiener driven model for the term structure of forward prices. The model, under a fixed martingale measure, Q, consists of two infinite dimensional stochastic differential equations (SDEs). The first system is a standard HJM model for (forward) interest rates, driven by a multidimensional Wiener process W. The second system is an infinite SDE for the term structure of forward prices on some specified underlying asset driven by the same W. We are primarily interested in the forward prices. However, since for any fixed maturity, T, the forward price process is a martingale under the T-forward neutral measure, the zero coupon bond volatilities will enter into the drift part of the SDE for these forward prices. The interest rate system is, thus, needed as input into the forward price system. Given this setup we use the Lie algebra methodology of Björk et al. to investigate under what conditions on the volatility structure of the forward prices and/or interest rates, the inherently (doubly) infinite dimensional SDE for forward prices can be realized by a finite dimensional Markovian state space model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 569.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: 30 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Proceedings of the Stochastic Finance 2004 Conference, , (eds.), Springer-Verlag.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Forward prices; term structures; state space models; Markovian realizations; HJM models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2004-12-12 (Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2004-12-15 (Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2004-12-12 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Camilla Landén & Tomas Björk, 2002. "On the construction of finite dimensional realizations for nonlinear forward rate models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 303-331.
- Gaspar, Raquel M., 2004. "General Quadratic Term Structures of Bond, Futures and Forward Prices," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 559, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Bent Jesper Christensen & Tomas Björk, .
"Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves,"
Management Working Papers
1999-4, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Tomas Björk & Bent Jesper Christensen, 1999. "Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 323-348.
- Björk, Tomas & Christensen, Bent Jesper, 1997. "Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 209, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Björk, Tomas & Landen, Camilla, 2000. "On the construction of finite dimensional realizations for nonlinear forward rate models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 420, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.