How Fast Do Banks Adjust? A Dynamic Model of Labor-Use with an Application to Swedish Banks
AbstractThis paper deals with a dynamic adjustment process in which adjustment of a key variable input (labor) towards its desired level is modeled in a panel data context. The partial adjustment type model is extended to incorporate firm- and time-specific adjustment parameter. A flexible (translog) labor requirement function is used to represent the desired level of labor-use. It is specified as a function of a vector of outputs and other firm-specific variables. Labor-use inefficiency is defined as the ratio of actual to desired level of employment. Productivity growth is defined in terms of a shift in the labor requirement function. Swedish banking data is used as an application of the above model.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 411.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 08 Nov 2000
Date of revision: Nov 2001
Publication status: Published in Journal of Productivity Analysis, 2002, pages 79-102.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Productivity; Efficiency; Convergence; Labor-Use; Panel Data; Banking Industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Subal Kumbhakar & Almas Heshmati & Lennart Hjalmarsson, 2002. "How Fast Do Banks Adjust? A Dynamic Model of Labor-Use with an Application to Swedish Banks," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 79-102, July.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heshmati, Almas & Ncube, Mkhululi, 1998. "A Flexible Adjustment Model of Employment with Application to Zimbabwe's Manufacturing Industries," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 278, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Aug 2003.
- Haouas, Ilham & Yagoubi, Mahmoud & Heshmati, Almas, 2002. "Labour-Use Efficiency in Tunisian Manufacturing Industries: A Flexible Adjustment Model," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Heshmati, Almas & Haouas, Ilham, 2003.
"The Effects of Union Wage-Settings on Firms’ Production Factor Decisions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
689, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Almas Heshmati & Ilham Haouas, 2004. "The effects of union wage-settings on firms' production factor decisions," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(7), pages 415-420.
- Masso, Jaan & Heshmati, Almas, 2003.
"The Optimality and Overuse of Labour in Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises,"
IZA Discussion Papers
884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2004. "The optimality and overuse of labour in Estonian manufacturing enterprises," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 683-720, December.
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2003. "The Optimality And Overuse Of Labour In Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 20, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Haouas, Ilham & Yagoubi, Mahmoud & Heshmati, Almas, 2003.
"Labour-Use Efficiency in Tunisian Manufacturing Industries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
687, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Haouas Ilham & Yagoubi Mahmoud & Heshmati Almas, 2003. "Labor-use Efficiency in Tunisian Manufacturing Industiries," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 1-20, December.
- Ilham Haouas & Mahmoud Yagoubi & Almas Heshmati, 2003. "Labour-Use Efficiency in the Tunisian's Manufacturing Industries: A Flexible Adjustment Model," Documents de travail 79, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Banerjee, Saugata & Heshmati, Almas & Wihlborg, Clas, 1999. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 333, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 12 May 2000.
- Lööf, Hans, 2003. "Dynamic Optimal Capital Structure and Technological Change," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-06, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.