A computer model to analyse the cost-effectiveness of hormone replacement therapy - a revised version
AbstractThis report presents a computer model for evaluating the cost-effectiveness (CE) of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). The model is an extension of a previous model and includes also the risk of spine and wrist fracture. New Swedish data on risk of coronary heart disease and related mortality are included. The report describes the model's structure and data requirements; it also investigates the impact on the CE results by using the new model and by adding the wrist and spine fractures to the model. We further investigate whether the results are sensitive to the inclusion of Swedish risk and mortality data for CHD instead of using data based on the Framingham study. The results show that the incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICERs) are insensitive to the chosen model, to the assumption that the risk of wrist and spine fracture follows that of hip fracture, and to replacing the Framingham data with Swedish CHD risk and mortality data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 368.
Length: 57 pages
Date of creation: 20 Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Computer model; cost-effectiveness analysis; hormone replacement therapy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I19 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Meltzer, 1997. "Accounting for Future Costs in Medical Cost-Effectiveness Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meltzer, David, 1997. "Accounting for future costs in medical cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 33-64, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.