Efficient estimation of price adjustment coefficients
AbstractThe price adjustment coefficient model of Amihud and Mendelson (1987) is shown to be suitable for estimation by the Kalman filter. A techique that, under some commonly used conditions, is asymptotically efficient. By Monte Carlo simulations it is shown that both bias and mean squared error are much smaler compared to the estimator proposed by Damodaran and Lim (1991) and Damodaran (1993). A test for the adeqacy of the model is also proposed. Using data from four minor, the nordic countries except Iceland, and one major, US, stock markets the results are that the markets under-react to new information, but for most of the nordic countries, the model is not adequate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 332.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 20 Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Estimation; efficiency; price adjustment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2000-01-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-IND-2000-01-24 (Industrial Organization)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.