A Simple Linear Time Series Model with Misleading Nonlinear Properties
AbstractThis paper demonstrates that long memory leads to spurious rejection of the linearity hypothesis, when a STAR specification constitutes the alternative.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 300.
Length: 5 pages
Date of creation: 09 Feb 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economics Letters, 1999, pages 281-284.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Fractional integration; Long memory; Smooth transition autoregression;
Other versions of this item:
- Andersson, Michael K. & Eklund, Bruno & Lyhagen, Johan, 1999. "A simple linear time series model with misleading nonlinear properties," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 281-284, December.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-02-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-1999-02-22 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-1999-02-15 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sang-Kuck Chung, 2006. "The out-of-sample forecasts of nonlinear long-memory models of the real exchange rate," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 355-370.
- Amine LAHIANI & Olivier SCAILLET, .
"Testing for threshold effect in ARFIMA models: Application to US unemployment rate data,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
08-42, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Lahiani, A. & Scaillet, O., 2009. "Testing for threshold effect in ARFIMA models: Application to US unemployment rate data," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 418-428.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas, 2006.
"A minimal noise trader model with realistic time series properties,"
Economics Working Papers
2006,11, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas, 2003. "A minimal noise trader model with realistic time series properties," Economics Working Papers 2003,15, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Silvestro Di Sanzo, 2007. "Forecasting Time Series with Long Memory and Level Shifts, A Bayesian Approach," Working Papers 2007_03, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas, 2007.
"A Noise Trader Model As A Generator Of Apparent Financial Power Laws And Long Memory,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(S1), pages 80-101, November.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas, 2005. "A noise trader model as a generator of apparent financial power laws and long memory," Economics Working Papers 2005,13, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Leipus, Remigijus & Viano, Marie-Claude, 2003. "Long memory and stochastic trend," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 177-190, January.
- Y. Malevergne & V. F. Pisarenko & D. Sornette, 2003. "Empirical Distributions of Log-Returns: between the Stretched Exponential and the Power Law?," Papers physics/0305089, arXiv.org.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Terraza, Michel, 2002. "Stochastic chaos or ARCH effects in stock series?: A comparative study," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 407-431.
- Kuswanto, Heri & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2009. "Testing for Long Memory Against ESTAR Nonlinearities," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-427, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Paap, Richard, 2002. "A nonlinear long memory model, with an application to US unemployment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 135-165, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.