Power and Bias of Likelihood Based Inference in the Cointegration Model under Fractional Cointegration
AbstractThis paper investigates how fractional cointegration affects the common maximum likelihood cointegration procedure. It is shown that the likelihood ratio test of no cointegration has considerable power against fractional alternatives. In contrast to the case of a cointegrated system, the usual maximum likelihood estimator gives severely biased estimates of the long-run relation under fractional cointegration. This suggests that the standard likelihood approach should be used with caution and that a test to separate fractionally cointegrated series from series that are cointegrated of an integer order should be executed prior to estimation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 221.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 24 Feb 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economics Letters, 1999, pages 143-147.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Error correction; likelihood ratio test; maximum likelihood; fractional integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lyhagen, Johan, 1998. "Maximum likelihood estimation of the multivariate fractional cointegrating model," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 233, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.