Robust Testing for Fractional Integration Using the Bootstrap
AbstractAsymptotic tests for fractional integration are usually badly sized in small samples, even for normally distributed processes. Furthermore, tests that are well-sized under normality may be severely distorted by non-normalities and ARCH errors. This paper demonstrates how the bootstrap can be implemented to correct for such size distortions. It is shown that a well-designed bootstrap test based on the MRR and GPH tests is exact, and a procedure based on the REG test is nearly exact.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 218.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 27 Jan 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Long-memory; resampling; skewness and kurtosis; ARCH; Monte Carlo; size correction.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Econometrics 9602009, EconWPA, revised 05 Mar 1996.
- Horowitz, J.L., 1995. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Working Papers 95-10, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- J. L. Horowitz, 1995. "Bootstrap Methods In Econometrics: Theory And Numerical Performance," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,63, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1995-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arteche, J. & Orbe, J., 2005. "Bootstrapping the log-periodogram regression," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 79-85, January.
- Christian de Peretti, 2003. "Bilateral Bootstrap Tests for Long Memory: An Application to the Silver Market," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 187-212, October.
- Arteche, Josu & Orbe, Jesus, 2009. "Using the bootstrap for finite sample confidence intervals of the log periodogram regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1940-1953, April.
- Davidson, James, 2002. "A model of fractional cointegration, and tests for cointegration using the bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 187-212, October.
- Hatgioannides, John & Mesomeris, Spyros, 2007. "On the returns generating process and the profitability of trading rules in emerging capital markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 948-973, October.
- Anthony Murphy & M Izzeldin, 2006.
"Bootstrapping long memory tests: some Monte Carlo results,"
574547, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Murphy, A. & Izzeldin, M., 2009. "Bootstrapping long memory tests: Some Monte Carlo results," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2325-2334, April.
- Panas, E., 2001. "Long memory and chaotic models of prices on the London Metal Exchange," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 235-246, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.