Stock Options as Barrier Contingent Claims
AbstractThis paper contributes in two ways. First it extends the Geske (1979) compound option pricing model to the case where the underlying call is a down-and-out claim. Second it provides an internally consistent frame-work for valuing options on general corporate securities. Numerical results suggest that the detailed characteristics of the underlying capital structure (such as coupons, principal and maturities) may substantially influence the pricing of options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 137.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Nov 1996
Date of revision: 01 Feb 2002
Publication status: Published in Applied Mathematical Finance, 2003, pages 121-147.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Compound barrier contingent claims; option pricing;
Other versions of this item:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Rubinstein., 1994. "Implied Binomial Trees," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-232, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jan Ericsson & Joel Reneby, 1998.
"A framework for valuing corporate securities,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3-4), pages 143-163.
- P. Carr, 1995. "Two extensions to barrier option valuation," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 173-209.
- Leland, Hayne E & Toft, Klaus Bjerre, 1996.
" Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 987-1019, July.
- Hayne E. Leland and Klaus Bjerre Toft., 1995. "Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-259, University of California at Berkeley.
- Toft, Klaus Bjerre & Prucyk, Brian, 1997. " Options on Leveraged Equity: Theory and Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1151-80, July.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1998. "The Relation Between Treasury Yields and Corporate Bond Yield Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2225-2241, December.
- Rubinstein, Mark, 1994. " Implied Binomial Trees," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 771-818, July.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1995. " A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Fixed and Floating Rate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 789-819, July.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Marco Realdon, . "Valuation of Put Options on Leveraged Equity," Discussion Papers 03/19, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Reindl, Johann & Stoughton, Neal & Zechner, Josef, 2013. "Market implied costs of bankruptcy," CFS Working Paper Series 2013/27, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Hanke, Michael, 2005. "Pricing options on leveraged equity with default risk and exponentially increasing, finite maturity debt," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 389-421, March.
- Maria Carmen Badia Batlle & M. Mercedes Galisteo Rodriguez & M. Teresa Preixens Benedicto, 2006. "Un modelo de riesgo de credito basado en opciones compuestas con barrera. Aplicacion al mercado continuo espanol," Working Papers in Economics 156, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.