Investment Decisions, Future Consumption and Sustainability under Optimal Growth
AbstractIn this paper we derive an exact relationship between the net investment at a given point in time and future consumption plans. Our result is general in the sense that it neither requires a constant rate of time preference nor an exponential discount function. One interpretation of the result is in terms of the willingness to pay for net investments, while another interpretation relates to conditions for sustainability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 49.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: Mar 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Ramesy model; welfare measurement; national product;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Asheim, Geir B, 1994. " Net National Product as an Indicator of Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(2), pages 257-65.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1976.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-62, February.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mitra, Tapan, 2000.
"Intertemporal Equity and Efficient Allocation of Resources,"
Working Papers, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics
00-12, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Mitra, Tapan, 2002. "Intertemporal Equity and Efficient Allocation of Resources," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 356-376, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.