Measuring the Security of External Energy Supply in the European Union
AbstractThe security of energy supply is one of the main objectives of EU energy policy. In this paper, we introduce an index designed to evaluate the short-term risks associated with the external supply of energy to the EU Member States. It combines measures of energy import diversification, political risks of the supplying country, risk associated with energy transit, and the economic impact of a supply disruption. We construct separate indexes for three primary energy types, oil, gas and coal, and demonstrate that Member States' levels of supply risk exposure differ across energies. Most other studies of this kind provide aggregate indexes combining different types of energy. Our results suggest that an aggregate approach could be misleading, at least for discussions of the short-term response to risks. We discuss the implications of our findings for the common energy policy.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics in its series SITE Working Paper Series with number 2.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 22 May 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, SE-113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: (+46 8) 736 9670
Fax: (+46 8) 31 64 22
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/site/
More information through EDIRC
Index; Security of supply; Supply risk;
Other versions of this item:
- Le Coq, Chloé & Paltseva, Elena, 2009. "Measuring the security of external energy supply in the European Union," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4474-4481, November.
- C80 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - General
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gupta, Eshita, 2008. "Oil vulnerability index of oil-importing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1195-1211, March.
- Juan Delgado & Hans W. Friederiszick & Lars-Hendrik RÃ¶ller, . "Energy: choices for Europe," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 14, December.
- Xavier Labandeira & Baltasar Manzano, 2012.
"Some Economic Aspects of Energy Security,"
09-2012, Economics for Energy.
- Silve, F. & Noel, P., 2010. "Cost Curves for Gas Supply Security: The Case of Bulgaria," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1056, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Chuang, Ming Chih & Ma, Hwong Wen, 2013. "Energy security and improvements in the function of diversity indices—Taiwan energy supply structure case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 9-20.
- Kratochvíl, Petr & Tichý, Lukáš, 2013. "EU and Russian discourse on energy relations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 391-406.
- Le Coq, Chloe & Paltseva, Elena, 2012. "The EU-Russia Gas Relationship: a mutual dependency," SITE Working Paper Series 18, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Andaloro, Antonio P.F. & Salomone, Roberta & Ioppolo, Giuseppe & Andaloro, Laura, 2010. "Energy certification of buildings: A comparative analysis of progress towards implementation in European countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5840-5866, October.
- Yusta, Jose M. & Correa, Gabriel J. & Lacal-Arántegui, Roberto, 2011. "Methodologies and applications for critical infrastructure protection: State-of-the-art," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6100-6119, October.
- Prakash Loungani & Frederick L. Joutz & Gail Cohen, 2011.
"Measuring Energy Security: Trends in the Diversification of Oil and Natural Gas Supplies,"
IMF Working Papers
11/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Cohen, Gail & Joutz, Frederick & Loungani, Prakash, 2011. "Measuring energy security: Trends in the diversification of oil and natural gas supplies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 4860-4869, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Evelina Bonnier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.