Do Hypothetical and Actual Willingness to Pay Differ in Choice Experiments? - Application to the Valuation of the Environment
AbstractIn this paper we test the validity of choice experiments with donations for environmental projects. In particular, we test whether or not willingness to pay for projects differs between a hypothetical and an actual choice experiment. Our results do not indicate that choice experiments suffer from overstatement in hypothetical willingness to pay; and this contrasts the results found in external tests of validity in Contingent Valuation. In addition, internal tests of validity indicate transitive and stable preferences in both experiments.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 13.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 31 Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Carlsson, Fredrik and Peter Martinsson, 'Do Hypothetical and Actual Willingness to Pay Differ in Choice Experiments? - Application to the Valuation of the Environment' in Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2000, pages 179-192.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Choice experiments; External validity; Internal validity; Hypothetical and actual WTP; Public goods;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johansson-Stenman , Olof & Svedsäter, Henrik, 2003. "Self Image And Choice Experiments: Hypothetical And Actual Willingness To Pay," Working Papers in Economics 94, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- de Jong, Gerard, 2012. "Application of experimental economics in transport and logistics," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 50, pages 3.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.