Technical Efficiency During Deregulation of the Urban Bus System in Sweden
AbstractThis paper compares the levels of technical efficiency reached by bus transport companies during the period 1989-1996, taking into account the deregulation context in which they operate. The empirical evidence reveals that there are no substantial changes in the use of inputs after the bus transport market deregulation. The efficiency measures obtained in this study show that the gap between the most and the least efficient company varied very little during the observation period. These results could be explained by the presence of homogeneity between the companies with respect to the adoption of technology and utilisation of labour and capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 4.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 07 Oct 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Technical Efficiency; deregulation; urban bus system; transport;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R40 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979.
"Frontier Production Functions and Technical Progress: A Study of General Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1977. "Frontier Production Functions and Technical Progress: A Study of Teneral Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Working Paper Series 16, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Savage, Ian, 1993. "Deregulation and Privatization of Britain's Local Bus Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 143-58, June.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.