Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity Spillovers in Swedish Manufacturing
AbstractBased on a panel of data for Swedish manufacturing firms in 1990-2000, this paper finds strong evidence for the existence of positive spillover effects from inward FDI. The presence of foreign ownership in the same industry and region seems to enhance the total factor productivity of domestic firms. Moreover, the size of these FDI spillover effects seems to depend both on the nationality of the foreign MNF as well as on the absorptive capacity of the domestic firm, measured by its own R&D. It appears that this positive relationship between foreign presence and productivity cannot be explained as a consequence of reverse causality, i.e that FDI is attracted to highly productive regions and industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trade Union Institute for Economic Research in its series Working Paper Series with number 194.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 09 Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Multinational firms; Productivity spillovers; Foreign direct investment;
Other versions of this item:
- Karpaty, Patrik & Lundberg, Lars, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity spillovers in Swedish Manufacturing," Working Papers 2004:2, Örebro University, School of Business.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Findlay, Ronald, 1978. "Relative Backwardness, Direct Foreign Investment, and the Transfer of Technology: A Simple Dynamic Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998.
"Technology, Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation With Multinationals Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999. "Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 915-923, April.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 268, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Fredrik Sjoholm, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers? Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," NBER Working Papers 6816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:iniesr:553 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frank Barry & Holger Gorg & Eric Strobl, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and wages in domestic firms in Ireland: Productivity spillovers versus labour-market crowding out," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 67-84.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Davide Castellani & Antonello Zanfei, 2007. "Multinational companies and productivity spillovers: is there a specification error?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(14), pages 1047-1051.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers: Evidence from the Spanish experience," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 459-481, September.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Persson, Hakan, 1983. "Foreign investment and spillover efficiency in an underdeveloped economy: Evidence from the Mexican manufacturing industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 493-501, June.
- Salvador Barrios, . "Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity Spillovers," Working Papers 2000-19, FEDEA.
- Lundborg, Per, 2005. "Wage Fairness, Growth and the Utilization of R&D Workers," Working Paper Series 206, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura & Isabel Proença, 2009.
"FDI spillovers at regional level: Evidence from Portugal,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 591-607, 08.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007. "FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers 2007/28, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2008. "FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Series 1 ercwp0508, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Karpaty, Patrik, 2004. "Are foreign owned firms more productive? Evidence from Swedish firm data," Working Papers 2004:6, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Lundborg, Per, 2005. "Wage Theories for the Swedish Labour Market," Working Paper Series 207, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2005.
"Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers – What Do We Really Know?,"
2005/06, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Crespo, Nuno & Fontoura, Maria Paula, 2007. "Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers - What Do We Really Know?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 410-425, March.
- Ebersberger, Bernd & Lööf, Hans, 2004. "Multinational Enterprises, Spillovers, Innovation and Productivity," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 22, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Winkler, Deborah, 2013. "Potential and actual FDI spillovers in global value chains : the role of foreign investor characteristics, absorptive capacity and transmission channels," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6424, The World Bank.
- Anetta Čaplánová & Rudolf Sivák & John Hudson, 2012. "The Impact Of Foreign Direct Investment On Firms´ Innovation Activities," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(6), pages 764-779.
- Mahmut Yasar & Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 2007. "Firm Performance and Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Transition Economies," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(21), pages 1-11.
- Farole, Thomas & Winkler, Deborah, 2012. "Foreign firm characteristics, absorptive capacity and the institutional framework : the role of mediating factors for FDI spillovers in low- and middle-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6265, The World Bank.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"Productivity and International Firm Activities: What Do We Know?,"
IZA Policy Papers
23, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "Productivity and International Firm Activities: What do we know?," Working Paper Series in Economics 194, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Brita Bye & Taran Fæhn & Leo A. Grünfeld, 2008. "Growth policy in a small, open economy. Domestic innovation and learning from abroad," Discussion Papers 572, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Andreas Poldahl, 2006. "Domestic vs. International Spillovers: Evidence from Swedish Firm Level Data," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 277-294, December.
- Poldahl, Andreas, 2004. "Domestic vs. International Spillovers: Evidence from Swedish Firm Level Data," Working Paper Series 200, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Johansson, Börje & Lööf, Hans & Ebersberger, Bernd, 2008. "The Innovation and Productivity Effect of Foreign Take-Over of National Assets," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 141, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2006.
"Acquisitions, Multinationals and Wage Dispersion,"
Working Paper Series
675, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ben Hamida, Lamia & Gugler, Philippe, 2009. "Are there demonstration-related spillovers from FDI?: Evidence from Switzerland," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 494-508, October.
- Selén, Jan & Ståhlberg, Ann-Charlotte, 2004. "Wage and Compensation Inequality — How Different?," Working Paper Series 197, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.