Trade, Technology and Changes in Employment of Skilled Labour in Swedish Manufacturing
AbstractThe paper investigates the shift in demand towards more skilled labour in Swedish manufacturing during the last two decades. Two competing hypotheses to explain this shift are examined: skilled-biased technical change and increased international competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trade Union Institute for Economic Research in its series Working Paper Series with number 131.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 15 Mar 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Technology and International Trade, Fagerberg, Jan, Hansson, Pär, Lundberg, Lars, Melchior, Arne (eds.), 1997, chapter 12, Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.
skilled labour; skilled-biased technical change; international competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kjell G. Salvanes & Svein Erik Førre, 2001. "Job Creation, Heterogeneous Workers and Technical Change: Matched Worker/Plant Data Evidence from Norway," Discussion Papers 304, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Edin, P.-A. & Fredriksson, P. & Lundborg, P., 2000.
"Trade, Earnings, and Mobility - Swedish Evidence,"
2000-24, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Lundborg, Per, 2000. "Trade, Earnings, and Mobility - Swedish Evidence," Working Paper Series 2000:24, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Lundborg, Per, 2000. "Trade, Earnings, and Mobility - Swedish Evidence," Working Paper Series 163, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Edin, P.-A. & Fredriksson, P. & Lundborg, P., 2000. "Trade, Earnings, and Mobility - Swedish Evidence," Papers 2000:24, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Carsten Ochsen, 2004.
"Zukunft der Arbeit und Arbeit der Zukunft in Deutschland,"
Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory
45, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics, Germany.
- Carsten Ochsen, 2006. "Zukunft der Arbeit und Arbeit der Zukunft in Deutschland," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7(2), pages 173-193, 05.
- Savvidou, Eleni, 2003. "The Relationship Between Skilled Labor and Technical Change," Working Paper Series 2003:27, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Gustavsson, Magnus, 2004. "Trends in the Transitory Variance of Earnings: Evidence from Sweden 1960-1990 and a Comparison with the United States," Working Paper Series 2004:11, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Erik Mellander, 2000. "The Multi-Dimensional Nature of Labor Demand and Skill-Biased Technical Change," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0671, Econometric Society.
- Linda Andersson, 2001. "Openness and total factor productivity in Swedish manufacturing, 1980–1995," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(4), pages 690-713, December.
- Mellander, Erik, 1999. "The multi-dimensional nature of labor demand and skill-biased technical change," Working Paper Series 1999:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli, 2004. "The determinants of the skill bias in Italy: R&D, organisation or globalisation?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 329-347.
- Hansson, Pär, 1999.
"Relative Demand for Skills in Swedish Manufacturing: Technology or Trade?,"
Working Paper Series
152, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Hansson, Par, 2000. "Relative Demand for Skills in Swedish Manufacturing: Technology or Trade?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 533-55, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.