The State And The Private Sector In Vietnam
AbstractIn recent years, the Vietnamese government has emphasized its commitment to create a fair business environment for both the state and non-state sectors in its medium and long-term economic development programs. This paper examines the development of the private sector in Vietnam, focusing in particular on the relationship between the state and the private sector. The first part of the paper reviews the trends in private sector development, the second part discusses obstacles for private sector development, with focus on the role of state-owned enterprises, and the third part discusses future challenges and suggests some policy reforms on the basis of the lessons from the first two decades of economics reforms in Vietnam, as well as international experiences. The paper also considers the pattern of new firm establishment, including the impact of foreign investment on the domestic private sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The European Institute of Japanese Studies in its series EIJS Working Paper Series with number 236.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The European Institute of Japanese Studies, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/eijs/
More information through EDIRC
Vietnam; economic reforms; private sector development; SOEs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-08-27 (Development)
- NEP-TRA-2007-08-27 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vu, Van Huong, 2012. "Private manufacturing SMEs survival and growth in Vietnam: The role of export participation," MPRA Paper 42489, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Doan, Tinh, 2011.
"Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition,"
34254, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Doan, Tinh & Stevens, Philip, 2012. "Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(19), pages 1-24.
- Doan, Tinh, 2012. "Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-12, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Huong Vu & Steven Lim, 2013. "Exports and Firm survival: The first evidence from Vietnam private manufacturing SMEs," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1259-1268.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005.
"Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam,"
Departmental Working Papers, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics
2005-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 161-187, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nanhee Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.