Should competition policy in banking be amended during crises? Lessons from the EU
AbstractThis article investigates the nexus of competition and stability in European banking. It analyzes the European legal framework for competition policy in banking and several cases that pertain to anti-cartel policy, merger policy, and state-aid control. It discusses whether and how competition policy should be amended in order to preserve the stability of the banking system during crises. The article argues for increased cooperation between prudential regulators and competition authorities, as well as an enhanced framework for bank regulation, supervision, and resolution that could mitigate the need to change competition policy in crisis times.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 7/2013.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 19 May 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming as Hasan, Iftekhar and Matej Marinc, 'Should competition policy in banking be amended during crises? Lessons from the EU' in European Journal of Law and Economics .
banking; competition policy; financial crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-07-15 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2013-07-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2013-07-15 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-COM-2013-07-15 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2013-07-15 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iwan Bos & Joseph E. Harrington, Jr, 2010.
"Endogenous cartel formation with heterogeneous firms,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 41(1), pages 92-117.
- Iwan Bos & Joseph E. Harrington, Jr., 2008. "Endogenous Cartel Formation with Heterogeneous Firms," Economics Working Paper Archive 544, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Allen Berger & Leora Klapper & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2009.
"Bank Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 99-118, April.
- De Jonghe, Olivier & Vennet, Rudi Vander, 2008.
"Competition versus efficiency: What drives franchise values in European banking?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1820-1835, September.
- O. De Jonghe & R. Vander Vennet, 2007. "Competition versus Efficiency: What drives franchise values in European banking?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/491, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Mark Carlson & Kris James Mitchener, 2005.
"Branch Banking, Bank Competition, and Financial Stability,"
NBER Working Papers
11291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlson, Mark & Mitchener, Kris James, 2006. "Branch Banking, Bank Competition, and Financial Stability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1293-1328, August.
- Mark Carlson & Kris James Mitchener, 2005. "Branch banking, bank competition, and financial stability," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicoló & Bruce D. Smith, 2004.
"Crises in competitive versus monopolistic banking systems,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 487-509.
- Boyd, John H & De Nicolo, Gianni & Smith, Bruce D, 2004. "Crises in Competitive versus Monopolistic Banking Systems," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 487-506, June.
- Bruce D. Smith & Gianni De NicolÃ³ & John H. Boyd, 2003. "Crisis in Competitive versus Monopolistic Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 03/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Degryse, Hans & Ongena, Steven, 2007.
"The impact of competition on bank orientation,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 399-424, July.
- Craig O. Brown & I. Serdar Dinç, 2005. "The Politics of Bank Failures: Evidence from Emerging Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(4), pages 1413-1444, November.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan, 1997.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stijn Claessens, 2009.
"Competition in the Financial Sector: Overview of Competition Policies,"
IMF Working Papers
09/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens, 2009. "Competition in the Financial Sector: Overview of Competition Policies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 83-118, April.
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2005.
"Lending Booms and Lending Standards,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2001. "A Model Of Financial Crises In Emerging Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(2), pages 489-517, May.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1990. "Multimarket Contact and Collusive Behavior," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2004. "Information and bank credit allocation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 185-214, April.
- Santiago Carbó-Valverde & Francisco Rodriguez-Fernandez & Gregory F. Udell, 2006.
"Bank market power and SME financing constraints,"
1022, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.