Forecasting with a noncausal VAR model
AbstractWe propose simulation-based forecasting methods for the noncausal vector autoregressive model proposed by Lanne and Saikkonen (2012). Simulation or numerical methods are required because the prediction problem is generally nonlinear and, therefore, its analytical solution is not available. It turns out that different special cases of the model call for different simulation procedures. Simulation experiments demonstrate that gains in forecasting accuracy are achieved by using the correct noncausal VAR model instead of its conventional causal counterpart. In an empirical application, a noncausal VAR model comprised of U.S. inflation and marginal cost turns out superior to the best-fitting conventional causal VAR model in forecasting inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 33/2012.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 09 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
noncausal vector autoregression; forecasting; simulation; importance sampling; inflation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-12-06 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-12-06 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2012-12-06 (Forecasting)
- NEP-ORE-2012-12-06 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2010.
"Optimal Forecasting of Noncausal Autoregressive Time Series,"
23648, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2012. "Optimal forecasting of noncausal autoregressive time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 623-631.
- Breid, F. Jay & Davis, Richard A. & Lh, Keh-Shin & Rosenblatt, Murray, 1991. "Maximum likelihood estimation for noncausal autoregressive processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 175-198, February.
- James M. Nason & Gregor W. Smith, 2005.
"Identifying the New Keynesian Phillips curve,"
2005-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Geweke, John, 1996.
"Monte carlo simulation and numerical integration,"
Handbook of Computational Economics,
in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 731-800
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani, 2011.
"Autoregression-Based Estimation of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve,"
29801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne, Markku & Luoto, Jani, 2013. "Autoregression-based estimation of the new Keynesian Phillips curve," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 561-570.
- Lanne, Markku & Luoma, Arto & Luoto, Jani, 2009.
"Bayesian Model Selection and Forecasting in Noncausal Autoregressive Models,"
23646, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Markku Lanne & Arto Luoma & Jani Luoto, 2012. "Bayesian Model Selection And Forecasting In Noncausal Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(5), pages 812-830, 08.
- George Athanasopoulos & Farshid Vahid, 2006.
"VARMA versus VAR for Macroeconomic Forecasting,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
4/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2010.
"Noncausal autoregressions for economic time series,"
32943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne Markku & Saikkonen Pentti, 2011. "Noncausal Autoregressions for Economic Time Series," Journal of Time Series Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-32, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.