Real time analysis of euro area fiscal policies: adjustment to the crisis
AbstractUsing real time data from the OECD and fiscal policy reaction functions, this study explores euro area fiscal policies since the late 1990s. Both discretionary plans for the budget year and policy changes during budget implementation stages are investigated. The main focus is on the fiscal adjustment to the recent financial and economic crisis. The results suggest that during the time of monetary union (EMU) euro area planned fiscal policies have been long-term oriented and counter-cyclical. In the implementation stages new policy decisions have been made in response to unexpected economics developments. We provide evidence that the crisis had a clear impact on discretionary policies. Due to the resultant increase in uncertainty, the crisis spotlighted the impact of cyclical developments on fiscal planning. In the implementation stages, huge forecast errors in connection with planned policy were observed. As a consequence, new decisions were made in order to alleviate the negative impacts of the crisis on euro area economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 21/2011.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 14 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
fiscal policy; real time data; planning stage; implementation stage; cyclical sensitivity; economic crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-11-14 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2011-11-14 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-11-14 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Colciago & Lorenza Rossi, 2011.
"Endogenous Market Structures and Labor Market Dynamics,"
Quaderni di Dipartimento
139, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods, revised Feb 2011.
- Colciago , Andrea & Rossi, Lorenza, 2011. "Endogenous market structures and labour market dynamics," Research Discussion Papers 12/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Colciago, Andrea & Rossi, Lorenza, 2011. "Endogenous Market Structures and Labor Market Dynamics," MPRA Paper 29311, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guido Ascari & Andrea Colciago & Lorenza Rossi, 2010.
"Limited Asset Market Participation: Does it Really Matter for Monetary Policy?,"
Quaderni di Dipartimento
124, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Ascari, Guido & Colciago , Andrea & Rossi, Lorenza, 2011. "Limited asset market participation: does it really matter for monetary policy?," Research Discussion Papers 15/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Sharma, Zenu, 2011. "Incentives and innovation: evidence from CEO compensation contracts," Research Discussion Papers 17/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Chen , Yehning & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2011.
"Subordinated debt, market discipline, and bank risk,"
Research Discussion Papers
20/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Yehning Chen & Iftekhar Hasan, 2011. "Subordinated Debt, Market Discipline, and Bank Risk," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(6), pages 1043-1072, 09.
- Fang, Yiwei & Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2011. "Bank efficiency in transition economies: recent evidence from South-Eastern Europe," Research Discussion Papers 5/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Crowley , Patrick M & Hughes Hallett, Andrew, 2011. "The great moderation under the microscope: decomposition of macroeconomic cycles in US and UK aggregate demand," Research Discussion Papers 13/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Nyberg, Peter & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2011. "Descriptive analysis of Finnish equity, bond and money market returns," Research Discussion Papers 14/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Paloviita, Maritta, 2012. "Real time uncertainty in fiscal planning and debt accumulation in the euro area," Research Discussion Papers 35/2012, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.