Legislation, investor protection and financial growth
AbstractAccording to recent law and finance research, legislation is essential to financial development. More effi-cient financial markets would be achieved by reforming the laws governing investor protection and cor-porate governance systems. The Companies Act has traditionally played a very important role in the Fin-nish regulation of firms and financial markets. Nevertheless, the concrete effects of the Finnish corporate law have never before been examined properly. The aim of this study is to investigate the effects of the previous extensive reform of the Companies Act in 1980. The reform improved both shareholder and creditor rights, but the level of creditor rights rose substantially higher than the level of shareholder rights measured by different indices. The impact on stock returns was assessed by examining how news reports on the reform affected returns during the 1970s. Only the most important news had a significant impact on the returns. Otherwise there were no big surprises in the reform process and the stock prices adjusted efficiently to the new information relating to the small and closed financial markets. (pdf in Finnish)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 16/2006.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: 10 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
companies act; financial markets; investor protection; news; corporate governance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2006-10-21 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-10-21 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-REG-2006-10-21 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.