An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists
AbstractWavelet analysis, although used extensively in disciplines such as signal processing, engineering, medical sciences, physics and astronomy, has not yet fully entered the economics discipline. In this discussion paper, wavelet analysis is introduced in an intuitive manner, and the existing economics and finance literature that utilises wavelets is explored. Extensive examples of exploratory wavelet analysis are given, many using Canadian, US and Finnish industrial production data. Finally, potential future applications for wavelet analysis in economics are also discussed and explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 1/2005.
Length: 71 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Crowley, Patrick, 'An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists' in Journal of Economic Surveys, 2007, pages 207-267.
Note: Revised version published in Journal of Economic Surveys, 2007.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
statistical methodology; multiresolution analysis; wavelets; business cycles; economic growth;
Other versions of this item:
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
- C65 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Miscellaneous Mathematical Tools
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2006-10-21 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-HPE-2006-10-21 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2006-10-21 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997.
"Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter,"
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999. "Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter," MPRA Paper 39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mehmet Dalkir, 2004. "A new approach to causality in the frequency domain," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(44), pages 1-14.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2005. "Multiscale systematic risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Ramsey James B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-29, November.
- Ramsey, J.B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University 02-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kim Sangbae & In Francis Haeuck, 2003. "The Relationship Between Financial Variables and Real Economic Activity: Evidence From Spectral and Wavelet Analyses," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-18, December.
- Ramsey James B. & Lampart Camille, 1998. "The Decomposition of Economic Relationships by Time Scale Using Wavelets: Expenditure and Income," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett, Christian R Richter, 2001.
"Spectral Analysis as a Tool for Financial Policy: An Analysis of the Short-End of the British Term Structure,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001, Society for Computational Economics
127, Society for Computational Economics.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian R. Richter, 2004. "Spectral Analysis as a Tool for Financial Policy: An Analysis of the Short-End of the British Term Structure," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 271-288, 04.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997.
"An Alternative Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Long-Memeory Processes Using Compactly Supported Wavelets,"
- Jensen, Mark J., 2000. "An alternative maximum likelihood estimator of long-memory processes using compactly supported wavelets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 361-387, March.
- Ramsey, James B. & Lampart, Camille, 1998. "Decomposition Of Economic Relationships By Timescale Using Wavelets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 49-71, March.
- Camba-MÃ©ndez, Gonzalo & Kapetanios, George, 2001. "Spectral based methods to identify common trends and common cycles," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0062, European Central Bank.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Working Papers, Bank of Canada 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Collard, Fabrice, 1998. "Spectral and persistence properties of cyclical growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 463-488, November.
- Viviana Fernandez, 2005.
"Time-Scale Decomposition of Price Transmission in International Markets,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc.,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 57-90, August.
- Viviana Fernandez, 2004. "Time-Scale Decomposition of Price Transmission in International Markets," Documentos de Trabajo, Centro de EconomÃa Aplicada, Universidad de Chile 189, Centro de EconomÃa Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Enrico Capobianco, 2004. "Multiscale Analysis of Stock Index Return Volatility," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 219-237, 04.
- Hahn Shik Lee, 2004. "International transmission of stock market movements: a wavelet analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 197-201.
- Tkacz Greg, 2001.
"Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Tkacz, Greg, 2000. "Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator," Working Papers, Bank of Canada 00-5, Bank of Canada.
- Paul Conway & David Frame, 2000. "A spectral analysis of New Zealand output gaps using Fourier and wavelet techniques," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2000/06, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Neumann, Manfred J. M. & Greiber, Claus, 2004. "Inflation and core money growth in the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,36, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:44:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ramsey, James B. & Zhang, Zhifeng, 1995. "The Analysis of Foreign Exchange Data Using Waveform Dictionaries," Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University 95-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Carla Ysusi, 2009. "Analysis of the Dynamics of Mexican Inflation Using Wavelets," Working Papers 2009-09, Banco de México.
- Ozun, Alper & Cifter, Atilla, 2007.
"Modeling Long-Term Memory Effect in Stock Prices: A Comparative Analysis with GPH Test and Daubechies Wavelets,"
2481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alper Ozun & Atilla Cifter, 2008. "Modeling long-term memory effect in stock prices: A comparative analysis with GPH test and Daubechies wavelets," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 38-48, March.
- Crowley , Patrick & Lee , Jim, 2005. "Decomposing the co-movement of the business cycle: a time-frequency analysis of growth cycles in the euro area," Research Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland 12/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Reese, Simon & Li, Yushu, 2013. "Testing for Structural Breaks in the Presence of Data Perturbations: Impacts and Wavelet Based Improvements," Working Papers, Lund University, Department of Economics 2013:36, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Vuorenmaa , Tommi, 2005. "A wavelet analysis of scaling laws and long-memory in stock market volatility," Research Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland 27/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Ahamada, Ibrahim & Jolivaldt, Philippe, 2013. "Time-spectral density and wavelets approaches. Comparative study. Applications to SP500 returns and US GDP," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 460-466.
- Roger Bowden & Jennifer Zhu, 2010. "Multi-scale variation, path risk and long-term portfolio management," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(7), pages 783-796.
- Zagaglia, Paolo, 2006. "The Predictive Power of the Yield Spread under the Veil of Time," Research Papers in Economics, Stockholm University, Department of Economics 2006:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Crowley , Patrick & Maraun , Douglas & Mayes , David, 2006. "How hard is the euro are core? An evaluation of growth cycles using wavelet analysis," Research Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland 18/2006, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.