The efficiency implications of financial conglomeration
AbstractThis paper studies the competitive and efficiency implications of financial conglomeration driven by cost-efficiency gains in monitoring credit and insurance customers. The analysis shows that conglomeration is conducive to tougher competition in the credit market and increases profit in insurance. The aggregate profit in the financial sector does not increase, because the conglomerates pass the cost-efficiency gains on to the borrowers in full. More competitive market for financial services also reduces the aggregate risk in the financial markets, indicating that capital requirements in both sectors should be lower in the presence of financial conglomerates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 17/2004.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 18 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Journal of Financial Stability, 2008.
financial conglomerates; banking; insurance; capital regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kauppi, Heikki & Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2004.
"Equilibrium Unemployment and Investment Under Product and Labour Market Imperfections,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1058, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kauppi , Heikki & Koskela , Erkki & Stenbacka , Rune, 2004. "Equilibrium unemployment and investment under product and labour market imperfections," Research Discussion Papers 11/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Holopainen, Helena, 2007. "Integration of financial supervision," Research Discussion Papers 12/2007, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.