Simulating interbank payment and securities settlement mechanisms with the BoF-PSS2 simulator
AbstractThe simulation technique provides a new means for analysing complex interdependencies in payment and securities settlement processing. The Bank of Finland has developed a payment and settlement system simulator (BoF-PSS2) that can be used for constructing simulation models of payment and securities settlement systems. This paper describes the main elements of payment and settlement systems (system structures, interdependencies, processing steps, liquidity consumption, cost and risk dimensions) and how these can be treated in simulation studies. It gives also examples on how these elements have been incorporated in the simulator, as well as an overview of the structure and the features of the BoF-PSS2 simulator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 23/2003.
Length: 60 pages
Date of creation: 10 Jan 2003
Date of revision:
simulations; simulator; payment systems; clearing/settlement; liquidity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leinonen, Harry & Soramäki, Kimmo, 1999. "Optimizing Liquidity Usage and Settlement Speed in Payment Systems," Research Discussion Papers 16/1999, Bank of Finland.
- Kahn, Charles M & Roberds, William, 1998.
"Payment System Settlement and Bank Incentives,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 845-70.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 1997. "Payment system settlement and bank incentives," Proceedings 537, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, . "Payment System Settlement and Bank Incentives," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 1996. "Payment system settlement and bank incentives," Working Paper 96-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Bech, Morten L. & Garratt, Rod, 2001.
"The Intraday Liquidity Management Game,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0m6035wg, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- James J. McAndews & George Wasilyew, 1995. "Simulations of failure in a payment system," Working Papers 95-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Humphrey, David B, 1996. "Comment on Intraday Bank Reserve Management: The Effects of Caps and Fees on Daylight Overdrafts," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 909-13, November.
- repec:fth:bfdipa:16/99 is not listed on IDEAS
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi, 1996.
"Contagion and efficiency in gross and net interbank payment systems,"
Economics Working Papers
176, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1996.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno, 1998. "Contagion and Efficiency in Gross and Net Interbank Payment Systems," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 3-31, January.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi, 1998. "Contagion and efficiency in gross and net interbank payment systems," Proceedings 592, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Angelini, Paolo, 1998. "An analysis of competitive externalities in gross settlement systems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Angelini, P. & Maresca, G. & Russo, D., 1996. "Systemic risk in the netting system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 853-868, June.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic risk: A survey,"
Working Paper Series
0035, European Central Bank.
- Kahn, Charles M. & Roberds, William, 2001.
"Real-time gross settlement and the costs of immediacy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 299-319, April.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 1999. "Real-time gross settlement and the costs of immediacy," Working Paper 98-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Kuussaari, Harri, 1996. "Systemic Risk in the Finnish Payment System: an Empirical Investigation," Research Discussion Papers 3/1996, Bank of Finland.
- Bech , Morten L. & Soramäki, Kimmo, 2001. "Gridlock Resolution in Interbank Payment Systems," Research Discussion Papers 9/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Craig Furfine & Jeff Stehm, 1997. "Analyzing alternative intraday credit policies in real-time gross settlement systems," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cronin, David, 2011. "Large-Value Payment System Design and Risk Management," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 78-88, January.
- Galos, Peter & Soramäki, Kimmo, 2005. "Systemic risk in alternative payment system designs," Working Paper Series 0508, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.