Gridlock Resolution in Interbank Payment Systems
AbstractThe paper analyses the severity of gridlocks in interbank payment systems operating on a real time basis and evaluates by means of simulations the merits of a gridlock resolution algorithm. Data used in the simulations consist of actual payments settled in the Danish and Finnish RTGS systems. The algorithm is found to be applicable to a real time environment and effective in reducing queuing in the systems at all levels of liquidity, but in particular when intra-day liquidity is scarce.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 9/2001.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 13 Jun 2001
Date of revision:
payment systems; liquidity; gridlock; algorithms; settlement;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bech, Morten L. & Garratt, Rod, 2001.
"The Intraday Liquidity Management Game,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0m6035wg, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Guntzer, Michael M. & Jungnickel, Dieter & Leclerc, Matthias, 1998. "Efficient algorithms for the clearing of interbank payments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 212-219, April.
- Julio J. Rotemberg, 2010.
"Liquidity needs in economies with interconnected financial obligations,"
CQER Working Paper
2009-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Julio J. Rotemberg, 2008. "Liquidity Needs in Economies with Interconnected Financial Obligations," NBER Working Papers 14222, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Hilton, Spence & McAndrews, James J., 2010.
"Settlement delays in the money market,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 934-945, May.
- Kari Kemppainen, 2004. "Competition and regulation in European retail payment systems," Microeconomics 0404008, EconWPA.
- Neville Arjani, 2006. "Examining the Trade-Off between Settlement Delay and Intraday Liquidity in Canada's LVTS: A Simulation Approach," Working Papers 06-20, Bank of Canada.
- Kurt Johnson & James J. McAndrews & Kimmo Soramaki, 2004. "Economizing on liquidity with deferred settlement mechanisms," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 51-72.
- Morten L. Bech & Antoine Martin & James McAndrews, 2012. "Settlement liquidity and monetary policy implementation—lessons from the financial crisis," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Mar, pages 3-20.
- Leinonen, Harry & Soramäki, Kimmo, 2003. "Simulating interbank payment and securities settlement mechanisms with the BoF-PSS2 simulator," Research Discussion Papers 23/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Iivarinen , Timo, 2004. "Large value payment systems: principles and recent and future developments," Research Discussion Papers 13/2004, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.