A Model for Estimating Recovery Rates and Collateral Haircuts for Bank Loans
AbstractWe present a model of risky debt in which collateral value is correlated with the possibility of default. The model is then used to study: 1) the expected amount of debt recovered in the event of default as a function of collateral; and 2) the amount of collateral needed to mitigate the riskiness of a loan to a desired degree. The results obtained could prove useful for estimating recovery rates required by many popular models of credit risk and for determining collateral haircuts in debt transactions. The analysis also generates testable predictions of the behaviour of historical recovery rates of risky debt when collateral is involved. Regulators might benefit from the analysis in developing capital adequacy requirements and reviewing banks' lending standards relative to current collateral values.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Research Discussion Papers with number 2/2000.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 14 Mar 2000
Date of revision:
credit risk; collateral; recovery rates; options theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McAndrew, Clare & Thompson, Rex, 2007. "The collateral value of fine art," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 589-607, March.
- Khieu, Hinh D. & Mullineaux, Donald J. & Yi, Ha-Chin, 2012. "The determinants of bank loan recovery rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 923-933.
- Gürtler, Marc & Heithecker, Dirk, 2004. "Modellkonsistente Bestimmung des LGD im IRB-Ansatz von Basel II," Working Papers FW08V3, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.