Determinants of bank interest margins in Russia: Does bank ownership matter?
AbstractThis paper analyzes interest margin determinants in the Russian banking sector with a particular emphasis on the bank ownership structure. Using a unique bank-level data covering Russia’s entire banking sector for the 19992007 period, we find that the impact of a number of commonly used determinants such as market structure, credit risk, liquidity risk and size of operations differs across state-controlled, domestic-private and foreign-owned banks. At the same time, the influence of operational costs and bank risk aversion is homogeneous across ownership groups. The results overall suggest the form of bank ownership needs to be considered when analyzing interest margin determinants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 22/2009.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 25 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
bank interest margins; financial intermediation; Russia;
Other versions of this item:
- Fungáčová, Zuzana & Poghosyan, Tigran, 2011. "Determinants of bank interest margins in Russia: Does bank ownership matter?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 481-495.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2010-01-30 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-CIS-2010-01-30 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-TRA-2010-01-30 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fungachova, Z. & Solanko, L., 2010. "Has Banks’ Financial Intermediation Improved in Russia?," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 8, pages 101-116.
- Vernikov, Andrei, 2010. "Direct and indirect state ownership on banks in Russia," MPRA Paper 21373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrei Vernikov, 2011. "Government Banking in Russia: Magnitude and New Features," IWH Discussion Papers 13, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Poghosyan, Tigran, 2013.
"Financial intermediation costs in low income countries: The role of regulatory, institutional, and macroeconomic factors,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 92-110.
- Tigran Poghosyan, 2012. "Financial Intermediation Costs in Low-Income Countries: The Role of Regulatory, Institutional, and Macroeconomic Factors," IMF Working Papers 12/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Vernikov, Andrei, 2012.
"«Национальные Чемпионы» В Структуре Российского Рынка Банковских Услуг
[National champions and the competitive structure of the Russia," MPRA Paper 40236, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.