How market power influences bank failures: Evidence from Russia
AbstractThere has been a notable debate in the banking literature on the impact of bank competition on financial stability. While the dominant view sees a detrimental impact of competition on the stability of banks, this view has recently been challenged by Boyd and De Nicolo (2005) who see the reverse effect. The aim of this paper is to contribute to this literature by providing the first empirical investigation of the role of bank competition on the occurrence of bank failures. We analyze this issue based on a large sample of Russian banks over the period 2001-2007 and employ the Lerner index as the metric of bank competition. The Russian banking industry is a unique example of an emerging market which has undergone a large number of bank failures during the last decade. Our findings clearly support the view that tighter bank competition is detrimental for financial stability. This result is robust to tests controlling for the measurement of market power, the definition of bank failure, the set of control variables, and the particular linear specification of the relationship. The normative implication of our findings is therefore that measures that increase bank competition could undermine financial stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 12/2009.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 10 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
bank competition; bank failure; Russia;
Other versions of this item:
- Zuzana Fungacova & Laurent Weill, 2010. "How Market Power Influences Bank Failures Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-08, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-09-26 (Banking)
- NEP-CIS-2009-09-26 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-COM-2009-09-26 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2009-09-26 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-TRA-2009-09-26 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glushkova, Ekaterina & Vernikov, Andrei, 2009. "How big is the visible hand of the state in the Russian banking industry?," MPRA Paper 15563, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2006.
"Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125498, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Allen Berger & Leora Klapper & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2009.
"Bank Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 99-118, April.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995.
"Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000. "Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Simon Wolfe & Klaus Schaeck, 2006. "Are More Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," IMF Working Papers 06/143, International Monetary Fund.
- Rafael Repullo & David Martínez-Miera, 2008.
"Does Competition Reduce The Risk Of Bank Failure?,"
- Claeys, Sophie & Schoors, Koen, 2007.
"Bank supervision Russian style: Evidence of conflicts between micro- and macro-prudential concerns,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 630-657, September.
- Claeys, Sophie & Schoors, Koen, 2007. "Bank supervision Russian style: Evidence of conflicts between micro- and macroprudential concerns," Working Paper Series 205, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Francisco Pérez García & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Juan Francisco Fernández de Guevara Radoselovics, 2002.
"Market Power In European Banking Sectors,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2002-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1995.
"Why do banks disappear? The determinants of U.S. bank failures and acquisitions,"
1995-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 2000. "Why do Banks Disappear? The Determinants of U.S. Bank Failures and Acquisitions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 127-138, February.
- Gianni De Nicolo & Elena Loukoianova, 2007.
"Bank ownership, market structure, and risk,"
1058, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Solís, Liliana & Maudos, Joaquín, 2008. "The social costs of bank market power: Evidence from Mexico," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 467-488, September.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jose A. Lopez & Jesús Saurina, 2010.
"How Does Competition Impact Bank Risk-Taking?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1005, Banco de Espa�a.
- Carbo, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquin & Molyneux, Philip, 2006.
"Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking,"
15258, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Carbó, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquín & Molyneux, Philip, 2009. "Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 115-134, February.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & David Humphrey & Joaquin Maudos & Philip Molyneux, 2006. "Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking," Proceedings 1107, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Humphrey David & Carbó Valverde Santiago & Maudos Villarroya Joaquín & Molyneux Philip, 2006. "Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking," Working Papers 201036, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Marco Arena, 2005.
"Bank Failures and Bank Fundamentals: A Comparative Analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the Nineties using Bank-Level Data,"
05-19, Bank of Canada.
- Arena, Marco, 2008. "Bank failures and bank fundamentals: A comparative analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the nineties using bank-level data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 299-310, February.
- Anatoly Peresetsky & Alexandr Karminsky & Sergei Golovan, 2011.
"Probability of default models of Russian banks,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 44(4), pages 297-334, November.
- A. Karas & W. Pyle & K. Schoors, 2007.
"Sophisticated Discipline in a Nascent Deposit Market: Evidence from Post-Communist Russia,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
07/450, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Karas, Alexei & Pyle, William & Schoors, Koen, 2006. "Sophisticated discipline in a nascent deposit market: Evidence from post-communist Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 13/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2006. "The cost of market power in banking: social welfare loss vs. inefficiency cost," MPRA Paper 15253, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Männasoo, Kadri & Mayes, David G., 2009. "Explaining bank distress in Eastern European transition economies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 244-253, February.
- Alexander Karminsky & Alexander Kostrov & Taras Murzenkov, 2012. "Comparison of default probability models: Russian experience," HSE Working papers WP BRP 06/FE/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Karminsky, A. & Kostrov, A., 2013. "Modeling the Default Probabilities of Russian Banks: Extended Abillities," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 64-86.
- Małgorzata, 2011. "Competition in the Polish banking market prior to recent crisis for the period 1997–2007 – empirical results obtained with the use of three different models," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 42(5), pages 5-40.
- Olga Pak & Mira Nurmakhanova, 2013. "The Effect of Market Power on Bank Credit Risk-Taking and Bank Stability in Kazakhstan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 335-350, November.
- Weill, Laurent, 2013.
"Bank competition in the EU: How has it evolved?,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 100-112.
- Horvath, Roman & Seidler, Jakub & Weill, Laurent, 2013. "How bank competition influence liquidity creation," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Aadil Nakhoda, 2013.
"Bank Competition and Export Diversification,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 2013/12, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Pestova Anna & Mamonov Mikhail, 2013. "Macroeconomic and bank?specific determinants of credit risk: evidence from Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 13/10e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Philipp J. Süss, 2011.
"The Outbreak of the Russian Banking Crisis,"
Czech Economic Review,
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 5(1), pages 046-063, March.
- Elmas Yaldiz & Flavio Bazzana, 2010. "The effect of market power on bank risk taking in Turkey," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 34(3), pages 297-314.
- Mamonov, Mikhail, 2012. "The impact of market power of Russian banks on their credit risk tolerance: A panel study," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 28(4), pages 85-112.
- Mikhail Mamonov, 2013. "Bad management, skimping, or both? The relationship between cost efficiency and loan quality in Russian banks," HSE Working papers WP BRP 19/FE/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.