Public pension and household saving: Evidence from China
AbstractWe relate household saving to pension reform, to explain the high household saving rates in urban China from a new perspective. We use the exogenous – policy induced - variation in pension wealth to explicitly estimate the impact of pension wealth on household saving, and obtain a significant offset effect of pension wealth on household saving. Our estima-tions show that pension reform boosted the household saving rate in 1999 by about 6 per-centage points for cohort aged 25-29 and by about 3 percentage points for cohort aged 50-59. Our results also indicate that declining pension wealth reduces expenditure on educa-tion and health more than on other consumption items.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 2/2009.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 20 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
pensions; pension reform; household savings rate; China;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- P35 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Public Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2009-04-25 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2009-04-25 (China)
- NEP-DEV-2009-04-25 (Development)
- NEP-PUB-2009-04-25 (Public Finance)
- NEP-TRA-2009-04-25 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bottazzi, Renata & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2006.
"Retirement expectations, pension reforms, and their impact on private wealth accumulation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(12), pages 2187-2212, December.
- Bottazzi, Renata & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2006. "Retirement expectations, pension reforms, and their impact on private wealth accumulation," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2007.
"The determinants of household saving in China: a dynamic panel analysis of provincial data,"
Working Paper Series
2007-28, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2007. "The Determinants of Household Saving in China: A Dynamic Panel Analysis of Provincial Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(8), pages 2077-2096, December.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2006. "The Determinants of Household Saving in China: A Dynamic Panel Analysis of Provincial Data," ISER Discussion Paper 0676, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University, revised Sep 2007.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2006. "The Determinants of Household Saving in China: A Dynamic Panel Analysis of Provincial Data," NBER Working Papers 12723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Agar Brugiavini, 2003. "Social Security And Households' Saving," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 1075-1119, August.
- Meng, Xin, 2003. "Unemployment, consumption smoothing, and precautionary saving in urban China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 465-485, September.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Susann Rohwedder, 2003. "Pension Wealth and Household Saving: Evidence from Pension Reforms in the United Kingdom," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1499-1521, December.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Savings rates and public pensions in China
by Economic Logician in Economic Logic on 2009-06-16 08:43:00
- Luiz de Mello & Pier Carlo Padoan & Linda Rousová, 2012.
"Are Global Imbalances Sustainable? Shedding Further Light on the Causes of Current Account Reversals,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 489-516, 08.
- Luiz de Mello & Pier Carlo Padoan & Linda Rousová, 2010. "Are Global Imbalances Sustainable?: Shedding Further Light on the Causes of Current Account Reversals," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 813, OECD Publishing.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Kalantzis, Yannick & Lafarguette, Romain & Sicular, Terry, 2013. "Understanding household savings in China: the role of the housing market and borrowing constraints," MPRA Paper 44611, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clovis Kerdrain & Isabell Koske & Isabelle Wanner, 2011. "Current Account Imbalances: can Structural Reforms Help to Reduce Them?," OECD Journal: Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2011(1), pages 1-44.
- Christian Dreger & Tongsan Wang & Yanqun Zhang, 2013.
"Understanding Chinese Consumption: The Impact of Hukou,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1341, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dreger, Christian & Wang, Tongsan & Zhang, Yanqun, 2013. "Understanding Chinese Consumption: The Impact of Hukou," IZA Discussion Papers 7819, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dreger, Christian & Wang, Tongsan & Zhang, Yanqun, 2013. "Understanding Chinese consumption: The impact of hukou," Discussion Papers 343, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Clovis Kerdrain & Isabell Koske & Isabelle Wanner, 2010. "The Impact of Structural Policies on Saving, Investment and Current Accounts," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 815, OECD Publishing.
- Chamon, Marcos & Liu, Kai & Prasad, Eswar, 2010.
"Income Uncertainty and Household Savings in China,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5331, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kai Liu & Marcos Chamon & Eswar Prasad, 2010. "Income Uncertainty and Household Savings in China," IMF Working Papers 10/289, International Monetary Fund.
- Marcos Chamon & Kai Liu & Eswar S. Prasad, 2010. "Income Uncertainty and Household Savings in China," NBER Working Papers 16565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guonan Ma & Wang Yi, 2010.
"China’s High Saving Rate: Myth and Reality,"
CEPII research center, issue 122, pages 5-40.
- Richard Herd, 2013. "The evolution of China’s social policies," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 109-141, March.
- Heikki Oksanen, 2010. "The Chinese pension system - First results on assessing the reform options," European Economy - Economic Papers 412, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.