Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US
AbstractThis paper analyzes dynamic changes of China's intra-industry trade with its major trading partners, Japan and the US, from 1980 to 2004. It also investigates to what extent foreign direct investment promoted intra-industry trade. The empirical results show that, while shares of China's intra-industry trade with both Japan and U.S rose substantially, its intra-industry trade with Japan has reached 35 per cent of the overall trade, considerably larger than 10 per cent with the US. Sino-Japan intra-industry trade concentrated in the electrical and machinery sectors accounted for 52 per cent and 46 per cent of overall trade respectively. On the other hand, it is in the chemical and food sectors where intra-industry trade represented a relatively large proportion of Sino-US trade, 50 per cent and 30 per cent accordingly in each sector. In addition, the analysis indicates that Japanese direct investment in China performed a significant role in enhancing intra-industry trade between Japan and China. However, it found no evidence that the US direct investment in China contributed to the growth of the bilateral intra-industry trade between the two countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 1/2007.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 16 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
intra-industry trade; FDI; China;
Other versions of this item:
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 685-700, August.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-02-24 (China)
- NEP-DEV-2007-02-24 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2007-02-24 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2007-02-24 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2007-02-24 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Michael Thorpe & Zhaoyang Zhang, 2005. "Study of the Measurement and Determinants of Intra-industry Trade in East Asia ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 231-247, 06.
- Antras, Pol, 2003.
"Firms, Contracts, and Trade Structure,"
3196328, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:rus:hseeco:121607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nicolas R. Blancher & Thomas Rumbaugh, 2004. "China," IMF Working Papers 04/36, International Monetary Fund.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Don Clark, 1993. "Recent evidence on determinants of intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(2), pages 332-344, June.
- Lisbeth Hellvin, 1996. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade Between China and OECD Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 114, OECD Publishing.
- Yuqing Xing & Guanghua Wan, 2006. "Exchange Rates and Competition for FDI in Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 419-434, 04.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Yuqing Xing, 2008. "Sino-Japanese Relations: The Dimensions of Trade and FDI," Working Papers EMS_2008_06, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Sawyer, William C. & Sprinkle, Richard L. & Tochkov, Kiril, 2010. "Patterns and determinants of intra-industry trade in Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 485-493, October.
- Nathapornpan Piyaareekul Uttama, 2012. "Some new evidence on intra-industry trade and complex FDI in ASEAN countries: a spatial panel approach," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 116-131.
- Pomfret, Richard & Sourdin, Patricia, 2009. "Have Asian trade agreements reduced trade costs?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 255-268, May.
- Yuqing Xing, 2008. "FDI in China: Facts and Impacts on China and the World Economy," Working Papers EMS_2008_03, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Nobuaki Hamaguchi & Silvio Miyazaki & Leonardo Correia, 2014. "State Space Application to Recent Automobile Sector Triangle Trade between Japan and Latin America," Discussion Paper Series DP2014-05, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Greaney, Theresa M. & Li, Yao, 2009. "Assessing foreign direct investment relationships between China, Japan, and the United States," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 611-625, November.
- Lim, Sokchea & Khun, Channary, 2010. "U.S. Bilateral Trade Deficits with China and Japan: The Role of Japanese Direct Investment," MPRA Paper 30740, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clark, Don P., 2011. "Factor adjustment implications of a free trade agreement between the United States and Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 213-221, June.
- Dean, Judith M. & Lovely, Mary E. & Mora, Jesse, 2009. "Decomposing China-Japan-U.S. trade: Vertical specialization, ownership, and organizational form," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 596-610, November.
- Sun, Sizhong, 2012. "The role of FDI in domestic exporting: Evidence from China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 434-441.
- Richard Pomfret, 2009. "Regionalism in the Asia-Pacific Region: How Wide, How Deep?," School of Economics Working Papers 2009-31, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.