Observations on disinflation in transition economies
AbstractThe transition economies were remarkably successful in curbing the inflation that took place after the initial transition and shocks and, more recently, most of the countries have brought inflation down to the levels found in major developed countries. In this paper we review the experiences and show how fiscal discipline, monetary policy and exchange rate policy contributed to the outcome. In addition, we note that the influence of EU accession on institutions and policy may have played an important role. The paper also surveys the literature on the quality of the inflation data, the extent to which necessary relative price adjustments have occurred and the size of the Balassa-Samuelson effect. Case studies of disinflation in four countries are presented: Poland, Romania, Estonia and Russia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 5/2004.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: 19 Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Keller & Thomas J. Richardson, 2003. "Nominal Anchors in the CIS," IMF Working Papers 03/179, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001.
"Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
01/56, International Monetary Fund.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
- Broeck, Mark De & Sløk, Torsten, 2001. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Josef C. Brada & Ali M. Kutan, 2002.
"The End of Moderate Inflation in Three Transition Economies?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
433, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Josef C. Brada & Ali M. Kutan, 1999. "The end of moderate inflation in three transition economies?," Working Papers 1999-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Josef Brada & Ali Kutan, 1999. "The End of Moderate Inflation in Three Transition Economies?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 230, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Brada, Josef C. & Kutan, Ali M., 1999. "The end of moderate inflation in three transition economies?," ZEI Working Papers B 21-1999, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Balázs Égert, 2003.
"Nominal and Real Convergence in Estonia: The Balassa-Samuelson (dis)connection,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
556, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balàzs Ègert, 2003. "Nominal and real convergence in Estonia: the Balassa-Samuelson (Dis)connection," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2003-4, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Oct 2003.
- Paula De Masi & Vincent Koen, 1997. "Prices in Transition - Ten Stylized Facts," IMF Working Papers 97/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Budina, Nina & Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 2000.
"Fiscal deficits, monetary reform, and inflation stabilization in Romania,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2298, The World Bank.
- Nina Budina & Sweder Van Wijnbergen, 2001. "Fiscal deficits, monetary reform and inflation stabilization in romania," Journal of Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 165-194.
- Erica L. Groshen & Mark E. Schweitzer, 1997. "Inflation goals: guidance from the labor market?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec.
- Ratna Sahay & Stanley Fischer & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1998.
"From Transition to Market - Evidence and Growth Prospects,"
IMF Working Papers
98/52, International Monetary Fund.
- Fischer, Stanley & Sahay, Ratna & Vegh, Carlos, 1998. "From transition to market: Evidence and growth prospects," MPRA Paper 20615, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nouriel Roubini & Paul Wachtel, 1998.
"Current Account Sustainability in Transition Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
6468, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nouriel Roubini & Paul Wachtel, 1997. "Current Account Sustainability in Transition Economies," Working Papers 97-03, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2004.
"Real exchange rate dynamics in transition economies,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 83-100, March.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philipp C. Rother, 2000. "Inflation in Albania," IMF Working Papers 00/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Randall K. Filer & Jan Hanousek, 2003. "Inflationary Bias in Mid to Late Transition Czech Republic," Development and Comp Systems 0306001, EconWPA.
- Filer, Randall K. & Hanousek, Jan, 2003. "Inflationary bias in middle to late transition Czech Republic," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 367-376, December.
- Arratibel, Olga & Rodriguez-Palenzuela, Diego & Thimann, Christian, 2002. "Inflation dynamics and dual inflation in accession countries: a 'New Keynesian' perspective," Working Paper Series 0132, European Central Bank.
- Roman Horvath, 2007.
"The Time-Varying Policy Neutral Rate in Real Time: A Predictor for Future Inflation?,"
2007/4, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Horváth, Roman, 2009. "The time-varying policy neutral rate in real-time: A predictor for future inflation?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Amalia Morales-Zumaquero, 2006. "Explaining real exchange rate fluctuations," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 345-360, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.