Price variability and the speed of adjustment to the law of one price: Evidence from Slovakia
AbstractThis paper uses a large panel data set of monthly frequency final good and service prices in thirty-eight Slovak districts over a five-year period to study price variability and the working of the law of one price. We concentrate on three issues. First, using simple statistical tools, we investigate the range of price differences across Slovak districts. Second, we measure relative price variability across cities and across products. The variability of relative prices in the same district appears to be higher than the variability of prices of the same good across different districts. We identify the factors likely to be responsible for this fact. Third, using benchmarks we investigate the speed of convergence to the absolute law of one price. While we find evidence for absolute convergence, the speed is lower than that found in US cities. The speed of convergence to the relative law of one price is considerably higher.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 3/2004.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: 26 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabricio Coricelli & Roman Horváth, 2008.
"Price Setting and Market Structure: An Empirical Analysis of Micro Data,"
Working Papers IES
2008/23, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Sep 2008.
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Roman Horvath, 2008. "Price Setting And Market Structure: An Empirical Analysis Of Micro Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp938, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Horváth, Roman, 2006. "Price Setting Behaviour: Micro Evidence on Slovakia," CEPR Discussion Papers 5445, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2004.
"The Law of one Price in the Russian Economy,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
15204, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2010. "The Law of One Price in the Russian Economic Space," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 17(1), pages 3-19.
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Roman Horváth, 2010. "Price setting and market structure: an empirical analysis of micro data in Slovakia," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(2-3), pages 209-233.
- Wimanda, Rizki E., 2009. "Price variability and price convergence: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 427-442, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.