Fiscal competition in a transition economy
AbstractThe paper analyses fiscal competition for mobile capital between identical regions in a transition country. A framework similar to Keen-Marchand (1997) is used to analyse welfare effects of regional competition. It is shown that in very early transition when the share of the old sector is overwhelming, consumers in a transition economy may be better off in a competitive equilibrium. The decision-makers, however, would prefer to coordinate their fiscal policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 4/2001.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: 16 May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
tax competition; fiscal competition; transition;
Other versions of this item:
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
- H - Public Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2007-09-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2007-09-16 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Shleifer, 1996.
"Government in Transition,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1783, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Frye, Timothy & Shleifer, Andrei, 1997.
"The Invisible Hand and the Grabbing Hand,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 354-58, May.
- Guido Friebel, 2000.
"Why Russian Workers do not Move: Attachment of Workers through In-Kind Payments,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1376, Econometric Society.
- Guido Friebel & Sergei Guriev, 1999. "Why Russian Workers Do Not Move: Attachment of Workers Through In-Kind Payments," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 283, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Friebel, Guido & Guriev, Sergei, 2000. "Why Russian Workers Do Not Move: Attachment Of Workers Through In-Kind Payments," CEPR Discussion Papers 2368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- KEEN, Michael & MARCHAND, Maurice, 1996.
"Fiscal Competition and the Pattern of Public Spending,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996001, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Keen, Michael & Marchand, Maurice, 1997. "Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 33-53, October.
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- David E. Wildasin, 2000.
"Fiscal Competition in Space and Time,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
370, CESifo Group Munich.
- Micael Castanheira De Moura & Gérard Roland, 2000.
"The optimal speed of transition: a general equilibrium analysis,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gerard, 2000. "The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 219-39, February.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gérard, 1996. "The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mutsumi Matsumoto, 2000. "A Note on the Composition of Public Expenditure under Capital Tax Competition," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(6), pages 691-697, December.
- Edwards, Jeremy & Keen, Michael, 1996.
"Tax competition and Leviathan,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 113-134, January.
- George C. Tsibouris & Vito Tanzi, 2000. "Fiscal Reform Over Ten Years of Transition," IMF Working Papers 00/113, International Monetary Fund.
- Yingyi Qian & Gerard Roland, .
"Federalism and the Soft Budget Constraint,"
97045, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Desai, Raj M. & Goldberg, Itzhak, 2000. "The vicious circles of control - regional governments and insiders in privatized Russian enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2287, The World Bank.
- Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993. "Privatizing Russia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(2), pages 139-192.
- Brown, J David & Earle, John S, 2000.
"Competition And Firm Performance: Lessons From Russia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle, 2000. "Competition and Firm Performance: Lessons from Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 296, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Irena Grosfeld & Claudia Senik-Leygonie & Thierry Verdier & Stanislav Kolenikov & Elena Paltseva, 1999.
"Dynamism and Inertia on the Russian Labour Market: A Model of Segmentation,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
246, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Grosfeld, Irena & Kolenikov, Stanislav & Paltseva, Elena & Sénik-Leygonie, Claudia & Verdier, Thierry, 1999. "Dynamism and Inertia on the Russian Labour Market: A Model of Segmentation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2224, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laura Solanko, 2002.
"Fiscal competition in a transition economy,"
- Solanko, Laura, 2001.
"Fiscal competition in a transition economy,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
4/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Sergii Slukhai, 2009. "Inter-Location Small Business Tax Rate Variation in Ukraine: What Is Behind It?," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 33(1), pages 49-71.
- Libman, Alexander, 2008. "Federalism and regionalism in transition countries: A survey," MPRA Paper 29196, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.