Accession Countries’ Comparative Advantage in the Internal Market: A Trade and Factor Analysis
AbstractWe analyse trade between Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries and the European Union during 1993-1998 using three methods. First, we calculate the share of intra-industry trade to determine the extent to which two countries trade in similar products. Second, we calculate similarity indices to determine the extent to which the structure of the exports of two countries is similar to a third country. Third, we calculate the revealed comparative advantage of CEE countries in the EU internal market and analyse the results in a two-dimensional space showing relative labour-skills and capital-intensity. We also depict how the factor intensity of comparative advantage has changed since 1993. With this last approach, we find that the comparative advantage of various CEE countries have developed in quite different directions. Some countries have evolved comparative advantage in industries requiring much skilled labour, while others have moved in the opposite direction. This differentiation is also reflected in degrees of capital intensity. A few CEE countries have not shifted in this two-dimensional space.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 3/2001.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: 18 May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
EU; eastern enlargement; comparative advantage; factor intensity;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- Paul Brenton & Francesca Di Mauro & Matthias LÃ¼cke, 1999.
"Economic Integration and FDI: An Empirical Analysis of Foreign Investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 95-121, June.
- Brenton, Paul & DiMauro, Francesca & Lücke, Matthias, 1998. "Economic integration and FDI: an empirical analysis of foreign investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe," Kiel Working Papers 890, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Damien NEVEN, 1994.
"Trade Liberalisation with Eastern Nations. How Sensitive ?,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9407, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Neven, Damien J, 1994. "Trade Liberalization with Eastern Nations. How Sensitive?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1000, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kaitila, Ville, 1999. "Trade and Revealed Comparative Advantage: Hungary, the Czech Republic, and the European Union," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/1999, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kaitila, Ville & WidgrÉn, Mika, 1999. "Revealed Comparative Advantage in Trade between the European Union and the Baltic States," Discussion Papers 697, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005.
"Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(4), pages 629-658, October.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 568, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Levkovych, Inna, 2011. "Der ukrainische Außenhandel mit Produkten der Agrar- und Ernährungswirtschaft: Eine quantitative Analyse aus Sicht traditioneller und neuer Außenhandelstheorien," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 59, number 109520.
- Bernardina Algieri, 2007. "Trade Specialisation Dynamics in Russia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(2), pages 232-258, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.