Econometric Analysis of Currency Substitution: A Case of Latvia
AbstractThe paper provides a comprehensive econometric analysis of currency substitution for Latvia. Rather than drawing inferences on the degree of currency substitution from domestic money demand modelling, the most common approach to empirical analysis of the phenomenon, direct modelling of currency substitution ratio is ap-plied. Extensive model construction, estimation, evaluation and testing are per-formed. Methodological issues are also discussed. No simple policy recommenda-tions can be made at this stage of research, but a number of instruments are identi-fied, which can be used by the authorities to influence currency substitution behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 4/2000.
Length: 98 pages
Date of creation: 20 May 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
currency substitution; exogeneity; unit roots; causality; cointegration; parameter constancy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2007-09-16 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2007-09-16 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vetlov, Igor, 2001. "Dollarization in Lithuania: An Econometric Approach," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Sarajevs, Vadims, 2000. "Money Shocks in a Small Open Economy with Dollarization, Factor Price Rigidities, and Nontradeables," BOFIT Discussion Papers 12/2000, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Gérard Duchêne & Ramona Jimborean & Boris Najman, 2006. "Structure of Monetary Assets in Transition Economies: Financial Innovation and Structural Transformation," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270544, HAL.
- Komárek Luboš & Melecký Martin, 2001. "Demand for Money in the Transition Economy : The Case of the Czech Republic 1993–2001," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 614, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Heimonen, Kari, 2008. "Substituting a substitute currency," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 66-84.
- Harrison , Barry & Vymyatnina, Yulia, 2007. "Currency substitution in a de-dollarizing economy: The case of Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 3/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Komárek Luboš & Melecký Martin, 2001. "Currency Substitution in the Transition Economy : A Case of the Czech Republic 1993-2001," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 613, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.