Trade and Revealed Comparative Advantage: Hungary, the Czech Republic, and the European Union
AbstractThis study analyses the trade of Hungary and the Czech Republic with the European Union in 1997. After a general introduction, the focus turns to the extent of intra-industry trade (IIT) and its horizontal and vertical components. The extent of IIT is also analysed in light of the flows of foreign direct investment (FDI) from the European Union to Hungary and the Czech Republic. This is followed by an analysis of revealed comparative advantage (RCA) in trade between the EU and the two Central European countries. The CN4-digit trade data is divided into two groups according to whether a country enjoys a revealed comparative advantage in a given market area or not. Statistical tests are performed to determine the extent to which the RCA structures of each pair of countries are dependent. The analysis also takes into account the volumes of trade flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition in its series BOFIT Discussion Papers with number 8/1999.
Length: 61 pages
Date of creation: 14 Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
revealed comparative advantage; intra-industry trade; Hungary; Czech Republic; EU;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pietro Garibaldi & Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2001.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(4), pages 6.
- Kaitila, Ville & WidgrÉn, Mika, 1999. "Revealed Comparative Advantage in Trade between the European Union and the Baltic States," Discussion Papers 697, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- Uusivuori, Jussi & Uusivuori, J., 2002. "Comparative advantage and forest endowment in forest products trade: evidence from panel data of OECD-countries," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 53-75.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009.
"Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from Two Eastern European Countries,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
875, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2011. "Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from two Eastern European Countries," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_071, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Christophe Rault & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009. "Trade Specialisation And Economic Convergence: Evidence From Two Eastern European Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp959, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ville Kaitila, 2002. "Accession Countries’ Comparative Advantage in the Internal," International Trade 0209001, EconWPA.
- Bernardina Algieri, 2007. "Trade Specialisation Dynamics in Russia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(2), pages 232-258, June.
- Kaitila, Ville, 2001. "Accession Countries’ Comparative Advantage in the Internal Market: A Trade and Factor Analysis," BOFIT Discussion Papers 3/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.