Price setting behavior in an open economy and the determination of Finnish foreign trade prices
AbstractThis paper investigates price setting of internationally traded goods. We develop a theoretical model that incorporates sticky prices in the currency of both the buyer (local currency pricing) and seller (producer currency pricing). The nature of price setting is thus forward looking and the exchange rate effect depends on the relative share of local currency and producer currency pricing firms in the economy. The model is estimated with Finnish foreign trade price data for the period 1980–1998. The estimation results seem to support the model. The estimated share of local currency pricing is 40 percent in the export sector and 60 percent in the import sector implying that there is limited pass-through from exchange rate to destination-country prices in both sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Finland in its series Scientific Monographs with number E:25/2003.
Length: 84 pages
Date of creation: 12 Dec 2003
Date of revision:
local currency pricing; producer currency pricing; GMM; Finnish foreign trade prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabio Rumler, 2007.
"Estimates of the Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curve for Euro Area Countries,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 427-451, September.
- Rumler, Fabio, 2005. "Estimates of the open economy New Keynesian Phillips curve for euro area countries," Working Paper Series 0496, European Central Bank.
- Juha Kilponen & Helvi Kinnunen & Antti Ripatti, 2006. "Demographic Uncertainty and Labour Market Imperfections in Small Open Economy," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 227, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kilponen , Juha & Kinnunen , Helvi & Ripatti , Antti, 2006. "Population ageing in a small open economy – some policy experiments with a tractable general equilibrium model," Research Discussion Papers 28/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Fabio Rumler, 2005. "Estimates of the Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curve for Euro Area Countries," Working Papers 102, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Kamps, Annette, 2006. "The euro as invoicing currency in international trade," Working Paper Series 0665, European Central Bank.
- Janko Gorter, 2005. "Subjective Expectations and New Keynesian Phillips Curves in Europe," DNB Working Papers 049, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman) or (Päivi Määttä).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.