Does better governance and commitment to development attract general budget support?
AbstractGeneral budget support (GBS) is funding which is not earmarked for a specific sector or project, but is provided as direct financial support to the public sector in the recipient country. This type of aid is argued to have a positive effect on aid efficiency if it is targeted at countries with good governance and a strong commitment to development. In this study, data on commitments of official development assistance (ODA) from 23 DAC donors to 115 recipient countries in the period from 1995 to 2009 is used to estimate the probability of receiving GBS. The results show that the DAC donors are selective with respect to the quality of governance, and there is some support for the notion that the recipient governments’ commitment to development is a significant determinant for the allocation of GBS. Empirical evidence showing that DAC donors are more selective when allocating GBS than with program aid in total is also presented, underlining the importance of using disaggregated data when analyzing aid allocation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bergen, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 02/14.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: 10 Apr 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Institutt for økonomi, Universitetet i Bergen, Postboks 7802, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
aid allocation; general budget support; good governance; commitment to development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Neumayer, 2003. "Do Human Rights Matter in Bilateral Aid Allocation? A Quantitative Analysis of 21 Donor Countries," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 84(3), pages 650-666.
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
" Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Paul Clist & Alessia Isopi & Oliver Morrissey, 2012.
"Selectivity on aid modality: Determinants of budget support from multilateral donors,"
The Review of International Organizations,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 267-284, September.
- Paul Clist & Alessia Isopi & Oliver Morrissey, . "Selectivity on Aid Modality: Determinants of Budget Support from Multilateral Donors," Discussion Papers 11/01, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke, 2004.
"Aid, policy and growth in post-conflict societies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 1125-1145, October.
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke, 2002. "Aid, policy, and growth in post-conflict societies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2902, The World Bank.
- Rune Jansen Hagen, 2006. "Buying Influence: Aid Fungibility in a Strategic Perspective," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 267-284, 05.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2006.
"Does US Aid Buy UN General Assembly Votes? A Disaggregated Analysis,"
KOF Working papers
06-138, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2008. "Does US aid buy UN general assembly votes? A disaggregated analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 139-164, July.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2006. "Does US Aid Buy UN General Assembly Votes? A Disaggregated Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1275, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Collier, Paul & Dollar, David, 2002.
"Aid allocation and poverty reduction,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1475-1500, September.
- Graham Bird & Dane Rowlands, 2002. "Do IMF Programmes Have a Catalytic Effect on Other International Capital Flows?," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 229-249.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Aid and growth regressions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 547-570, April.
- Joao Pedro Azevedo, 2011. "WBOPENDATA: Stata module to access World Bank databases," Statistical Software Components S457234, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 09 Jul 2014.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1995.
"Why is there Multilateral Lending?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1207, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil R. Bhavnani & Samuel Bazzi, 2012. "Counting Chickens when they Hatch: Timing and the Effects of Aid on Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(561), pages 590-617, 06.
- Alesina, Alberto & Weder, Beatrice, 2002.
"Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid?,"
4553011, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bigsten, Arne & Tengstam, Sven, 2012. "International Coordination and the Effectiveness of Aid," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jean-Claude Berthélemy, 2006. "Bilateral Donors' Interest vs. Recipients' Development Motives in Aid Allocation: Do All Donors Behave the Same?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 179-194, 05.
- McGillivray, M. & White, H., 1993. "Explanatory studies of aid allocation among developing countries : a critical survey," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18942, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Todd Moss & Gunilla Pettersson & Nicolas van de Walle, 2006. "An Aid-Institutions Paradox? A Review Essay on Aid Dependency and State Building in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 74, Center for Global Development.
- Tito Cordella & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2007. "Budget Support Versus Project Aid: A Theoretical Appraisal," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(523), pages 1260-1279, October.
- Bazoumana Ouattara & Eric Strobl, 2008. "Aid, Policy and Growth: Does Aid Modality Matter?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 347-365, July.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Lisa CHAUVET, 1999.
"Aid and Performance: A Reassessment,"
- Andrew Williams & Abu Siddique, 2008. "The use (and abuse) of governance indicators in economics: a review," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 131-175, May.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004.
"Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002. "Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Dudley, Leonard & Montmarquette, Claude, 1976. "A Model of the Supply of Bilateral Foreign Aid," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 132-42, March.
- Burnside, Craig & Dollar, David, 1997.
"Aid, policies, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1777, The World Bank.
- Graham Bird & Dane Rowlands, 1997. "The Catalytic Effect of Lending by the International Financial Institutions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(7), pages 967-991, November.
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "Does Aid Affect Governance?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 322-327, May.
- Oecd, 2002. "Aid volume, channels and allocations for poverty reduction," OECD Journal on Development, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 33-46.
- Hagen, Rune Jansen, 2009. "Basic analytics of multilateral lending and surveillance," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 126-136, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.