Gender Differences in Early Retirement Behaviour
AbstractIn this paper we analyse early retirement for men and women focusing on family characteristics such as marital status, spouse income and wealth, and spouses’ labour market status. The female participation rate is high in Norway, implying that the country is particularly suitable for the study of gender differences in the early retirement behaviour. At our disposal we have administrative data that include information on individuals aged between 55 and 61 years in 1989. The individuals are followed until the end of 1995, with the aim of determining the predictors of different early retirement states. The results of a competing risk model indicate that women are less likely to take early retirement compared to men and that these differences are due to both different characteristics and different behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bergen, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 02/02.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 14 Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Institutt for økonomi, Universitetet i Bergen, Postboks 7802, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
Early retirement; gender differences; labour force participation.;
Other versions of this item:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peracchi, Franco & Welch, Finis, 1994. "Trends in Labor Force Transitions of Older Men and Women," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(2), pages 210-42, April.
- Costas Meghir & Whitehouse, E, 1995.
"Labour market transitions and retirement of men in the UK,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/10, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Meghir, Costas & Whitehouse, Edward, 1997. "Labour market transitions and retirement of men in the UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 327-354, August.
- Costas Meghir & Edward Whitehouse, 1993. "Labour market transitions and retirement of men in the UK," IFS Working Papers W93/12, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Killingsworth, Mark R. & Heckman, James J., 1987. "Female labor supply: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 103-204 Elsevier.
- William E. Even & David A. Macpherson, 1994. "Gender Differences in Pensions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 555-587.
- Svenn-Age Dahl & Oivind Anti Nilsen & Kjell Vaage, 2000.
"Work or retirement? Exit routes for Norwegian elderly,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1865-1876.
- Dahl, Svenn-Åge & Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Vaage, Kjell, 1999. "Work or Retirement? Exit Routes for Norwegian Elderly," IZA Discussion Papers 32, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dahl, S.-A., Nilsen, O.A. & Vaage, K., 2000. "Work or Retirement? Exit Routes for Norwegian Elderly," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 213, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Gruber, Jonathan & Wise, David, 1998. "Social Security and Retirement: An International Comparison," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 158-63, May.
- Vistnes, Jessica Primoff, 1994. "An Empirical Analysis of Married Women's Retirement Decisions," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(1), pages 135-55, March.
- Courtney Coile & Jonathan Gruber, 2000. "Social Security and Retirement," NBER Working Papers 7830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Rebecca M. Blank, .
"Race and Gender in the Labor Market,"
IPR working papers
98-18, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- Hernaes, Erik & Sollie, Marte & Strom, Steinar, 2000. " Early Retirement and Economic Incentives," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 481-502, June.
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Regina Riphahn, 1997. "Disability retirement and unemployment - substitute pathways for labour force exit? An empirical test for the case of Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 551-561.
- Bratberg, E. & Holmas, T.H. & Thogersen, O., 2000.
"Assessing the Effects of Early Retirement Programs,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
0900, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Bratberg, E. & Holmas, T.H. & Thogersen, O., 2000. "Assessing the Effects of Early Retirement Programs," Papers 4/2000, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Berkovec, James & Stern, Steven, 1991. "Job Exit Behavior of Older Men," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 189-210, January.
- Even, William E & Macpherson, David A, 1990. "The Gender Gap in Pensions and Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 259-65, May.
- Malene Kallestrup-Lamb, 2011. "The Role of the Spouse in Early Retirement Decisions for Older Workers," CREATES Research Papers 2011-38, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Marjan, MAES, 2008.
"Does the dismantlement of early retirement schemes increase unemployment in Belgium ?,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2008041, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Maes, Marjan, 2008. "Does the dismantlement of early retirement schemes increase unemployment in Belgium?," Working Papers 2008/57, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Larsen, Mona & Pedersen, Peder J., 2005.
"Pathways to Early Retirement in Denmark, 1984-2000,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1575, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mona Larsen & Peder J. Pedersen, 2008. "Pathways to early retirement in Denmark, 1984-2000," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(5), pages 384-409, September.
- Karakaya, Güngör, 2008.
"Early cessation of activity in the labour market: impact of supply and demand factors,"
13390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gungor Karakaya, 2009. "Early cessation of activity in the labour market: impact of supply and demand factors," DULBEA Working Papers 09-04.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Moller Dano, Anne & Ejrnaes, Mette & Husted, Leif, 2005.
"Do single women value early retirement more than single men?,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 47-71, February.
- Anne Møller Danø & Mette Ejrnæs & Leif Husted, 2004. "Do Single Women Value Early Retirement more than Single Men?," CAM Working Papers 2004-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Karsten Hank, 2004. "Effects of Early Life Family Events on Women’s Late Life Labour Market Behaviour: An Analysis of the Relationship between Childbearing and Retirement in Western Germany," MEA discussion paper series 04047, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Zhiyang Jia, 2005. "Retirement Behavior of Working Couples in Norway. A Dynamic Programming Approach," Discussion Papers 405, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Hernæs, Erik & Jia, Zhiyang, 2012. "Earning Distribution and Labour Supply after a Retirement Earnings Test Reform," Memorandum 01/2012, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Zhiyang Jia, 2005. "Spousal Influence on Early Retirement Behavior," Discussion Papers 406, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Deschryvere, Matthias, 2004. "Labour Force Behavior of Elderly Two Adult Households: Evidence from EU-countries," Discussion Papers 933, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.