Lognormal Approximation of Complex Path-dependent Pension Scheme Payoffs
AbstractThis paper analyzes an explicit return smoothing mechanism which has recently been introduced as part of a new type of pension savings contract that has been offered by Danish life insurers. We establish the payoff function implied by the return smoothing mechanism and show that its probabilistic properties are accurately approximated by a suitably adapted lognormal distribution. The quality of the lognormal approximation is explored via a range of simulation based numerical experiments, and we point to several other potential practical applications of the paper’s theoretical results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies in its series Finance Research Group Working Papers with number F-2006-09.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 21 Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Aarhus School of Business, Fuglesangs Allé 4, DK-8210 Aarhus V, Denmark
Fax: + 45 86 15 19 43
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/about/departments/bs.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Account-based pension schemes; return smoothing; payoff distributions; density approximation; Monte Carlo simulation; Asian options;
Other versions of this item:
- Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2006. "Lognormal Approximation of Complex Pathdependent Pension Scheme Payoffs," Working Papers 2006-9, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2007-06-18 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2007-06-18 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2007-06-18 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002.
"The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
- Dhaene, Jan & Denuit, Michel & Goovaerts, Marc & Kaas, R & Vyncke, D, 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance : theory," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/224320, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Grosen, Anders & J Rgensen, Peter L Chte, 2002. "The bonus-crediting mechanism of Danish pension and life insurance companies: an empirical analysis," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 249-268, November.
- Asbjørn T. Hansen & Peter Løchte Jørgensen, 2000. "Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1116-1136, August.
- Vanduffel, Steven & Hoedemakers, Tom & Dhaene, Jan, 2004. "Comparing approximations for risk measures of sums of non-independent lognormal random variables," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/85432, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/105441 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guillen, Montserrat & Jorgensen, Peter Lochte & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2006. "Return smoothing mechanisms in life and pension insurance: Path-dependent contingent claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-252, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.