Modernization and Centre-Left Dilemmas in Greece: the Revenge of the Underdogs
AbstractThis paper argues that the recent decline in the hegemony of the centre-left in Greece is related to the ideas of modernization that have dominated that tradition over the past few years. The tendency to conceptualize development in terms of a clash between the “new” and the “old”, to ignore the extent to which neoliberalism involves a strategy for the restoration of power for dominant groups, and to see marginalized groups merely as a problem to be overcome, rather than part of any solution, has impaired the centre-left’s ability to understand its own decline and to think constructively about alternatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hellenic Observatory, LSE in its series GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe with number 13.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/
More information through EDIRC
social democracy; neoliberalism.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernandez, Raquel & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Resistance to Reform: Status Quo Bias in the Presence of Individual-Specific Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1146-55, December.
- repec:hel:greese:43 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:38 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:39 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:45 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:35 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:46 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:42 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:41 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:44 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hel:greese:52 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassilis Monastiriotis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.