Evaluating a class of nonlinear time series models
AbstractWe consider a recently proposed class of nonlinear time series models and focus mainly on misspecification testing for models of such type. Following the modeling cycle for nonlinear time series models of specification, estimation and evaluation we first treat how to choose an adequate transition function and then contribute to the evaluation stage by proposing tests against serial correlation, no remaining nonlinearity and parameter constancy. We also consider evaluation by generalized impulse response functions. The finite sample properties of the proposed tests are studied via simulation. We illustrate the use of these methods by an application to real exchange rate data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät in its series Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen Fakultät der Leibniz Universität Hannover with number dp-445.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Nonlinearities; Smooth transition; Specification testing; Real exchange rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-05-02 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-05-02 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2010-05-02 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dietrich, Karl).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.