A New Simple Test Against Spurious Long Memory Using Temporal Aggregation
AbstractWe have developed a new test against spurious long memory based on the invariance of long memory parameter to aggregation. By using the local Whittle estimator, the statistic takes the supremum among combinations of paired aggregated series. Simulations show that the test performs good in finite sample sizes, and is able to distinguish long memory from spurious processes with excellent power. Moreover, the empirical application gives further evidence that the observed long memory in German stock returns is spurious.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät in its series Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) with number dp-425.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Local-Whittle method; Spurious long memory; Change point; Aggregation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-08-08 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-08-08 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998.
"A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
237, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999. "A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 161-165, February.
- Man, K.S. & Tiao, G.C., 2006. "Aggregation effect and forecasting temporal aggregates of long memory processes," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 267-281.
- Marcus J. Chambers, .
"Long Memory and Aggregation in Macroeconomic Time Series,"
Economics Discussion Papers
437, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Chambers, Marcus J, 1998. "Long Memory and Aggregation in Macroeconomic Time Series," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1053-72, November.
- Henryk GURGUL & Tomasz WÓJTOWICZ, 2006. "Long Memory on the German Stock Exchange," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 56(09-10), pages 447-468, September.
- Francis X. Diebold & Atsushi Inoue, 2000.
"Long Memory and Regime Switching,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2001.
"Long-memory in volatilities of German stock returns,"
2001,42, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Philipp Sibbertsen, 2004. "Long memory in volatilities of German stock returns," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 477-488, 09.
- Kuswanto, Heri & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2007. "Can we distinguish between common nonlinear time series models and long memory?," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-380, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- Leonardo Rocha Souza, 2007.
"Temporal Aggregation and Bandwidth selection in estimating long memory,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 701-722, 09.
- Souza, Leonardo Rocha, 2003. "Temporal Aggregation and Bandwidth Selection in Estimating Long Memory," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 478, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Robert F. Engle & Aaron D. Smith, 1999.
"Stochastic Permanent Breaks,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 553-574, November.
- Engle, Robert F & Smith, Aaron, 1998. "Stochastic Permanent Breaks," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt99v0s0zx, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Philipp Sibbertsen, 2004.
"Long memory versus structural breaks: An overview,"
Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 465-515, October.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2003:i:3:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lobato, I.N. & Savin, N.E., 1996.
"Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data,"
96-07, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Savin, N E, 1998. "Real and Spurious Long-Memory Properties of Stock-Market Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 261-68, July.
- I.N. Lobato & N.E. Savin, 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Econometrics 9605004, EconWPA, revised 26 Sep 1996.
- Hiemstra, Craig & Jones, Jonathan D., 1997. "Another look at long memory in common stock returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 373-401, December.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Robinson, Peter M, 1998. "A Nonparametric Test for I(0)," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 475-95, July.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Urga, Giovanni, 2005. "Modelling structural breaks, long memory and stock market volatility: an overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 1-34.
- Olan Henry, 2002. "Long memory in stock returns: some international evidence," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(10), pages 725-729.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Hsu, Nan-Jung, 2002. "A class of nearly long-memory time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 265-281.
- Kuswanto, Heri & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2008. "A Study on "Spurious Long Memory in Nonlinear Time Series Models"," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-410, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Ohanissian, Arek & Russell, Jeffrey R. & Tsay, Ruey S., 2008. "True or Spurious Long Memory? A New Test," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 161-175, April.
- Henghsiu Tsai & K. S. Chan, 2005. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation for a Class of Continuous-time Long-memory Processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5), pages 691-713, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Heidrich, Christian).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.