Efficient Endogenous Fluctuations in Two-Sector OLG Model
AbstractWe consider a two-sector two-good two-periods overlapping generations model with inelastic labor, consumption in both period of life and homothetic CES preferences. There are two consumption goods, one pure (non-durable) consumption and one consumable (durable) capital good which can be either consumed or invested. Assuming gross substitutability and a capital intensive pure consumption good, we prove the existence of efficient endogenous fluctuations through a Hopf bifurcation if the share of the consumption of young in the composite good is low enough. We also show that some fiscal policy rules can improve welfare and prevent the existence of business-cycle fluctuations in the economy by driving it to the optimal steady state as soon as it is announced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00793704.
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00793704
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Two-sector OLG model; multiple consumption goods; dynamic efficiency; endogenous fluctuations;
Other versions of this item:
- Antoine Le Riche & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2012. "Efficient Endogenous Fluctuations in Two-Sector OLG Model," AMSE Working Papers 1242, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Dec 2012.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2011.
"Local indeterminacy under dynamic efficiency in a two-sector overlapping generations economy,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 164-169, March.
- Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2009. "Local indeterminacy under dynamic efficiency in a two-sector overlapping generations economy," Working Papers halshs-00439240, HAL.
- Kalra, Sanjay, 1996. "Cyclical equilibria in multi-sector productive economies: The role of substitution and factor intensity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(9-10), pages 1709-1729.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia García Peñalosa, 2005.
"Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD,"
UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics
unimi-1009, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garc�A-Pe�Alosa, 2010. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(307), pages 413-450, 07.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garcìa-Peñalosa, 2008. "Labour market institutions and the personal distribution of income in the OECD," Working Papers halshs-00341005, HAL.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garcia-Peñalosa, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," CESifo Working Paper Series 1608, CESifo Group Munich.
- Checchi, Daniele & García-Peñalosa, Cecilia, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," IZA Discussion Papers 1681, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bosi, Stefano & Magris, Francesco & Venditti, Alain, 2005. "Competitive equilibrium cycles with endogenous labor," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 325-349, April.
- Drugeon, Jean-Pierre & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2010. "On efficiency and local uniqueness in two-sector OLG economies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 120-144, January.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Nishimura, Kazuo, 1985. "Competitive equilibrium cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 284-306, August.
- Benhabib, Jess & Nishimura, Kazuo, 1981. "Stability of Equilibrium in Dynamic Models of Capital Theory," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(2), pages 275-93, June.
- Jesus Fernández-Villaverde & Dirk Krueger, 2007.
"Consumption over the Life Cycle: Facts from Consumer Expenditure Survey Data,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 552-565, August.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Dirk Krueger, 2002. "Consumption over the Life Cycle: Facts from Consumer Expenditure Survey Data," NBER Working Papers 9382, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takahashi, Harutaka & Mashiyama, Koichi & Sakagami, Tomoya, 2012. "Does The Capital Intensity Matter? Evidence From The Postwar Japanese Economy And Other Oecd Countries," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S1), pages 103-116, April.
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2012. "Endogenous Business Cycles In Overlapping-Generations Economies With Multiple Consumption Goods," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S1), pages 86-102, April.
- Galor, Oded, 1992. "A Two-Sector Overlapping-Generations Model: A Global Characterization of the Dynamical System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1351-86, November.
- Baxter, Marianne, 1996. "Are Consumer Durables Important for Business Cycles?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 147-55, February.
- Venditti, Alain, 2005. "The two sector overlapping generations model: A simple formulation," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 164-188, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.