Financial development and survival of African agri-food exports
AbstractThis paper investigates the link between export survival of agri-food products and financial development. Our hypothesis is that financial developement differentially affects the survival of exports across products based on their need of external finance. We propose a test for the role of financial development by examining whether exports of products that are relatively more reliant on external capital survive longer when initiated in more financially developped countries. Our results suggest that agri-food products that require more external finance indeed sustain longer in foreign markets when exported from more financially developed countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00586320.
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00586320/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Financial development ; external finance dependence ; agri-food trade ; SPS regulation ; product risk index duration of trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Jaud, Melise & Kukenova, Madina, 2011. "Financial development and survival of African agri-food exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5649, The World Bank.
- NEP-AGR-2011-04-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2011-04-23 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Brenton & Olivier Cadot & Martha Denisse Pierola, 2012. "Pathways to African Export Sustainability," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 9380, March.
- Persson, Maria & Gullstrand, Joakim, 2013.
"How to Combine High Sunk Costs of Exporting and Low Export Survival,"
Working Paper Series
962, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Gullstrand, Joakim & Persson, Maria, 2012. "How to Combine High Sunk Costs of Exporting and Low Export Survival," Working Papers 2012:32, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo López, 2012.
"Financial Development, Exporting and Firm Heterogeneity in Chile,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
666, Central Bank of Chile.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo López, 2013. "Financial development, exporting and firm heterogeneity in Chile," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 183-207, March.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo Lopez, 2012. "Financial Development, Exporting and Firm Heterogeneity in Chile," Working Papers 51, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Food Standards, Heterogeneous Firms and Developing Countries’ Export Performance," Working Papers 152084, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.