The Theory of `Internal Exit', a comment on Buchanan and Faith (1987)
AbstractThe purpose of this note is to correct an error in the seminal article on secession by Buchanan and Faith (1987). In their paper, Buchanan and Faith neglected an important effect: political separation affects markets and consequently individual private incomes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00557218.
Date of creation: 18 Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00557218/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
secession; public good.;
Other versions of this item:
- Gregoire Rota Graziosi, 2003. "The theory of `Internal Exit', a comment on Buchanan and Faith (1987)," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 8(12), pages 1-6.
- Grégoire ROTA-GRAZIOSI, 2006. "The Theory of `Internal Exit', a comment on Buchanan and Faith (1987)," Working Papers 200630, CERDI.
- H1 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bolton, Patrick & Roland, Gerard, 1997.
"The Breakup of Nations: A Political Economy Analysis,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1057-90, November.
- Bolton, Patrick & Roland, Gérard, 1995. "The Break up of Nations: A Political Economy Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bolton, Patrick & Roland, Gerard & Spolaore, Enrico, 1996. "Economic theories of the break-up and integration of nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 697-705, April.
- Austin, D. Andrew, 1995. "Coordinated action in local public goods models: The case of secession without exclusion," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 235-256, October.
- Bordignon, Massimo & Brusco, Sandro, 2001.
"Optimal secession rules,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1811-1834, December.
- Berkowitz, Daniel, 1997. "Regional income and secession: Center-periphery relations in emerging market economies," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 17-45, February.
- Jehiel, Philippe & Scotchmer, Suzanne, 2001. "Constitutional Rules of Exclusion in Jurisdiction Formation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(2), pages 393-413, April.
- Grégoire Rota-Graziosi, 2011.
"Economic integration and political fragmentation,"
- Grégoire ROTA-GRAZIOSI, 2006.
"On the strategic use of representative democracy in international agreements,"
- Grégoire Rota Graziosi, 2009. "On the Strategic Use of Representative Democracy in International Agreements," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(2), pages 281-296, 04.
- Grégoire Rota-Graziosi, 2011. "On the strategic use of representative democracy in international agreements," Working Papers halshs-00562632, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.