Is the concept of sustainable tourism sustainable? Developing the Sustainable Tourism Benchmarking Tool
AbstractGiven the complexity of the issues surrounding the concept of sustainable tourism, the current paper tries to provide a unified methodology to assess tourism sustainability, based on a number of quantitative indicators. The proposed methodological framework (Sustainable Tourism Benchmarking Tool – STBT) will provide a number of benchmarks against which the sustainability of tourism activities in various countries can be assessed. A model development procedure is proposed: identification of the dimensions (economic, socio-ecologic, infrastructure) and indicators, method of scaling, chart representation and evaluation on three Asian countries. This application to three countries show us that a similar level of tourism activity might induce different sort of improvements to implement in the tourism activity and might have different consequences for the socio-ecological environment. The heterogeneity of developing countries exposed in the STBT is useful to detect the main problem of each country in their tourism activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00557121.
Date of creation: 18 Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00557121/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Other versions of this item:
- Julien GOURDON & Lucian CERNAT, 2007. "Is the concept of sustainable tourism sustainable? Developing the Sustainable Tourism Benchmarking Tool," Working Papers 200708, CERDI.
- Cernat, Lucian & Gourdon, Julien, 2005. "Is the concept of sustainable tourism sustainable? Developing the Sustainable Tourism Benchmarking Tool," MPRA Paper 4178, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A1 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-01-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENV-2011-01-30 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2011-01-30 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TUR-2011-01-30 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haiyan Song & Peter Romilly & Xiaming Liu, 2000. "An empirical study of outbound tourism demand in the UK," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5), pages 611-624.
- Rosensweig, Jeffrey A., 1988. "Elasticities of substitution in Caribbean tourism," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 89-100, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.