Carbon Prices during the EU ETS Phase II: Dynamics and Volume Analysis
AbstractThe European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS) is the largest emissions trading scheme to date. This article summarizes the principle elements behind the trading system, and details the carbon price dynamics during Phase II (2008-2012), along with an analysis of traded volumes. The main findings emphasize that the EU ETS is a rapidly growing market, which yields to innovative learning process for all participants involved: policy makers, industrial operators, and financial analysts. Besides, these results shed some light on the usefulness of credit project mechanisms, which may result in the medium-term in integrated ‘world' carbon markets between various regional and/or national ETS.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00459140.
Date of creation: 23 Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00459140/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
EU ETS; Carbon Price; Phase II; CER ; Spot Price ; Futures Price ; Options Price;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2010-03-06 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-03-06 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2010-03-06 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-REG-2010-03-06 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julien Chevallier, 2010. "Price relationships in the EU emissions trading system," Working Papers halshs-00458728, HAL.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2009. "Emissions Trading: What Makes It Work?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4616, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chevallier, Julien & Ielpo, Florian & Mercier, Ludovic, 2009. "Risk aversion and institutional information disclosure on the European carbon market: A case-study of the 2006 compliance event," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 15-28, January.
- Emilie Alberola & Julien Chevallier, 2009.
"European Carbon Prices and Banking Restrictions: Evidence from Phase I (2005-2007),"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 51-80.
- Emilie Alberola & Julien Pierre Chevallier, 2007. "European carbon prices and banking restrictions: evidence from phase I (2005-2007)," EconomiX Working Papers 2007-32, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Chèze, Benoît & Chevallier, Julien & Alberola, Emilie, 2009. "Emissions Compliances and Carbon Prices under the EU ETS: A Country Specific Analysis of Industrial Sectors," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4224, Paris Dauphine University.
- Julien Chevallier, 2010. "The European carbon market (2005-2007): banking, pricing and risk-hedging strategies," Working Papers halshs-00458787, HAL.
- Alberola, Emilie & Chevallier, Julien & Cheze, Benoi^t, 2008. "Price drivers and structural breaks in European carbon prices 2005-2007," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 787-797, February.
- De Perthuis, Christian & Convery, Frank J. & Ellerman, Denny, 2010. "Pricing carbon : the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10174, Paris Dauphine University.
- Julien Chevallier, 2009. "Emissions Trading: What Makes It Work?," Working Papers halshs-00401725, HAL.
- A. Ellerman & Barbara Buchner, 2008. "Over-Allocation or Abatement? A Preliminary Analysis of the EU ETS Based on the 2005–06 Emissions Data," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 267-287, October.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2009. "Carbon futures and macroeconomic risk factors: A view from the EU ETS," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 614-625, July.
- Alberola, Emilie & Chevallier, Julien & Chèze, Benoît, 2009. "Emissions Compliances and Carbon Prices under the EU ETS: A Country Specific Analysis of Industrial Sectors," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 446-462, May.
- Chevallier, Julien & Ielpo, Florian & Mercier, Ludovic, 2009. "Risk aversion and institutional information disclosure on the European carbon market : a case-study of the 2006 compliance event," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4221, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.