Local indeterminacy under dynamic efficiency in a two-sector overlapping generations economy
AbstractWe consider a two-sector two-periods overlapping generations model with inelastic labor, consumption in both periods of life and homothetic CES preferences. Assuming gross substitutability and a capital intensive consumption good, we prove that when dynamic eciency holds, local indeterminacy and sunspot fluctuations occur with low enough values for the sectoral elasticities of capital-labor substitution and we illustrate this finding within a standard example. This result shows that some scale policy rules can prevent the existence of business-cycle fluctuations in the economy by driving it to the optimal steady state as soon as it is announced, and thus shows that Reichlin's  influential conclusion is a robust property in a two-sector OLG economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00439240.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00439240/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Two-sector OLG model; dynamic efficiency; gross substitutability in consumption; local indeterminacy; stabilization policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2011. "Local indeterminacy under dynamic efficiency in a two-sector overlapping generations economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 164-169, March.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick Pintus, 2006.
"Endogenous Business Cycles and Dynamic Inefficiency,"
2006_37, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2006. "Endogenous business cycles and dynamic inefficiency," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 279-294.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997.
"Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Pintus, Patrick, 2007.
"Dynamic inefficiency in an overlapping generations economy with production,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 754-759, November.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generations Economy with Production," Working Papers 2006_40, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Kazuo Nishimura & Tadashi Shigoka & Makoto Yano, 1998. "Interior Optimal Chaos with Arbitrarily Low Discount Rates," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(3), pages 223-233, 09.
- Drugeon, Jean-Pierre & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2010.
"On efficiency and local uniqueness in two-sector OLG economies,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 120-144, January.
- Benhabib, Jess & Nishimura, Kazuo, 1981. "Stability of Equilibrium in Dynamic Models of Capital Theory," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(2), pages 275-93, June.
- Galor, Oded, 1992. "A Two-Sector Overlapping-Generations Model: A Global Characterization of the Dynamical System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1351-86, November.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00410787 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cremers, Emily, 2006. "Dynamic Efficiency in the Two-Sector Overlapping Generations Model," Staff General Research Papers 34856, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2012. "Endogenous Business Cycles In Overlapping-Generations Economies With Multiple Consumption Goods," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S1), pages 86-102, April.
- Antoine Le Riche & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2012.
"Efficient Endogenous Fluctuations in Two-Sector OLG Model,"
AMSE Working Papers
1242, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Dec 2012.
- Antoine Le Riche & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2012. "Efficient Endogenous Fluctuations in Two-Sector OLG Model," Working Papers halshs-00793704, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.