Equilibrium Distributional Impacts of Government. Employment Programs: Evidence from India's Employment Guarantee
AbstractThis paper presents evidence on the equilibrium labor market impacts of a large rural workfare program in India. We use the gradual roll out of the program to estimate changes in districts that received the program earlier relative to those that received it later. Our estimates reveal that following the introduction of the program, public employment increased by .3 days per prime-aged person per month (1.3% of private sector employment) more in early districts than in the rest of India. Casual wages increased by 4.5%, and private sector work for low-skill workers fell by 1.6%. These effects are concentrated in the dry season, during which the majority of public works employment is provided. Our results suggest that public sector hiring crowds out private sector work and increases private sector wages. We use these estimates to compute the implied welfare gains of the program by consumption quintile. Our calculations show that the welfare gains to the poor from the equilibrium increase in private sector wages are large in absolute terms and large relative to the gains received solely by program participants. We conclude that the equilibrium labor market impacts are a first order concern when comparing workfare programs with other anti-poverty programs such as a cash transfer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00680451.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00680451
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Workfare ; Rural labor markets ; Icome redistribution;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Porto, Guido G., 2006.
"Using survey data to assess the distributional effects of trade policy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 140-160, September.
- Guido G. Porto, 2003. "Using survey data to assess the distributional effects of trade policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3137, The World Bank.
- Raghav Gaiha & Vani Kulkarni & Manoj Pandey & Katsushi Imai, 2009.
"National rural employment guarantee scheme, poverty and prices in rural India,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0908, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Raghav Gaiha & Vani S. Kulkarni & Manoj K. Pandey & Katsushi S. Imai, 2009. "National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, Poverty and Prices in Rural India," ASARC Working Papers 2009-03, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Behrman, Jere R., 1999. "Labor markets in developing countries," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 43, pages 2859-2939 Elsevier.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1992. "Workfare versus Welfare Incentive Arguments for Work Requirements in Poverty-Alleviation Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 249-61, March.
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1992. "Household Composition, Labor Markets, and Labor Demand: Testing for Separation in Agricultural Household Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 287-322, March.
- Basu, Arnab K. & Chau, Nancy H. & Kanbur, Ravi, 2009.
"A theory of employment guarantees: Contestability, credibility and distributional concerns,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(3-4), pages 482-497, April.
- Basu, Arnab K & Chau, Nancy H & Kanbur, Ravi, 2006. "A Theory of Employment Guarantees: Contestability, Credibility and Distributional Concerns," CEPR Discussion Papers 5784, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Basu, Arnab K. & Chau, Nancy H. & Kanbur, Ravi, 2006. "A Theory of Employment Guarantees: Contestability, Credibility and Distributional Concerns," Working Papers 127048, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Basu, Arnab K. & Chau, Nancy & Kanbur, Ravi, 2007. "A Theory of Employment Guarantees: Contestability, Credibility and Distributional Concerns," IZA Discussion Papers 3002, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1994. "Transfer Benefits from Public-Works Employment: Evidence for Rural India," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1346-69, November.
- Basu, Arnab K., 2011. "Impact of Rural Employment Guarantee Schemes on Seasonal Labor Markets: Optimum Compensation and Workers' Welfare," IZA Discussion Papers 5701, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Seema Jayachandran, 2006.
"Selling Labor Low: Wage Responses to Productivity Shocks in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(3), pages 538-575, June.
- Seema Jayachandran, 2005. "Selling Labor Low: Wage Responses to Productivity Shocks in Developing Countries," UCLA Economics Online Papers 370, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cunha, Jesse & De Giorgi, Giacomo & Jayachandran, Seema, 2011.
"The Price Effects of Cash Versus In-Kind Transfers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jesse M. Cunha & Giacomo De Giorgi & Seema Jayachandran, 2011. "The Price Effects of Cash Versus In-Kind Transfers," NBER Working Papers 17456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacoby, Hanan G., 2013. "Food prices, wages, and welfare in rural India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6412, The World Bank.
- Ghani, Ejaz & Mani, Anandi & O'Connell, Stephen D., 2013. "Can political empowerment help economic empowerment ? women leaders and female labor force participation in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6675, The World Bank.
- Gupta, Bhanu & Mukhopadhyay, Abhiroop, 2014. "Local Funds and Political Competition: Evidence from the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in India," IZA Discussion Papers 8196, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Liu, Yanyan & Barrett, Christopher B., 2012. "Heterogeneous proâ€“poor targeting in Indiaâ€™s Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme:," IFPRI discussion papers 1218, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Narayanamoorthy, A. & Bhattarai, Madhusudan, 2013. "Rural Employment Scheme and Agricultural Wage Rate Nexus: An Analysis across States," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 26(2013).
- Manisha Shah & Bryce Millett Steinberg, 2013. "Drought of Opportunities: Contemporaneous and Long Term Impacts of Rainfall Shocks on Human Capital," NBER Working Papers 19140, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shreyasee Das & Abhilasha Singh, 2013. "The Impact of Temporary Work Guarantee Programs on Children's Education: Evidence from the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Guarantee Act from India," Working Papers 13-03, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.